1 year vs 3 year rabies vaccine

LoveDogs

Forums Enthusiast
Can some one tell me what the difference between 1 year rabies vaccine vs 3 years is?
When I lived in Pennsylvania my old vet used to give 3 year rabies vaccine but only certified for 2 years and had us come back every other year for rabies vaccine. I was told now the state is letting individual vet to decide if they will certify for 2 years or 3 years.
Now I moved to Kansas, I am told I have an opton of giving 1 year or 3 year rabies vaccine. 3 year vaccine costs more. I read in internet that there is no difference. Does any other states do this?
 
I've heard this too about the 1 year and 3 year being the same. I wish I could get an answer from a professional on whether this is true or not. For instance, my vet suggested that I don't give the 3 year vaccine to the cats as there was a higher incidence of vaccinosis. Since they were happy as clams about 3 year rabies for the dogs and have expressed hope about even longer duration between shots maybe coming I have a hard time thinking they would perpetrate the whole cat thing unless there was a real difference in the vaccine.
 
There are 1 yr and 3 yr vaccines the difference is the immunity that the vaccine has been challenaged for. All rabies vaccines need to be booster 1 yr later and then at 1 yr or 3 yr depending on which vaccine is used.

This is a list of the rabies vaccines available in the US.
http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/specific_groups/veterinarians/vaccines_marketed.html

I don't know the cost difference of the vaccines as I have only ever used the 3yr vaccines(RabVAC-3 and Imrab 3)- same vaccine at initial, 1yr booster and 3 yr booster. But I would venture to guess there is some but I can't imagine alot. Weird that a state would give an option of 1yr vs 3 yr vaccine:confused2:
 
Ok well it looks like Kansas is like Mn and laws are at local level so it is up to the indivdual city you live in to determine what is required 1yr or 3 yr.
 
Dr. Shelli: if I understand you correctly the difference is primarily what titer duration testing was done on it? I guess it is possible that a different adjuvent for the 3 year could be causing the increased incidence of vaccinosis in cats. Thanks for the information.
 
Dr. Shelli,

Thank you for the explanation. I did ask my vet why anyone will go with 1 year vaccine over 3 year one. He said it is preference. I think I'll stick with 3 year.
 
There are also some manufacturer guidelines to be followed.

At my vet, the one year and three year come from the same bottle. But because MJ (the puppy who went to Hawaii) had his two rabies shots only five months apart, my vet would not issue a three year vaccine, as he would have if there had been a one year gap between vaccines. That's a manufacturer requirement, not a state requirement.
 
Back
Top