11 month old Sheltie - Worried about coat

In the one photo it almost looks as if she's doing the crouch. Her proportions somehow don't quite say Sheltie. She might very well be part Border Collie, though she's far too beautiful for it to be a problem.

I agree - she's very pretty, and less coat may actually be a bit of a blessing when it comes to grooming.
 
In the one photo it almost looks as if she's doing the crouch. Her proportions somehow don't quite say Sheltie. She might very well be part Border Collie, though she's far too beautiful for it to be a problem.

I'd just like to point out that the crouch is in no way exclusively a BC trait. Sparta does it, too - when she's being sneaky, when she has something, or is hunting farmdogs. :winkgrin:

Back to the original question, I wouldn't worry too much about coat just yet, especially if you don't live in an area with chilly winters. Some sheltie coats can take as much as two and a half (or almost three) years to fill out and settle. BC coat varies fram short/smooth to medium/long within the standard - and even more outside of it - but is always shorter and lighter than the sheltie's. I've seen a few lighter-coated shelties who look quite a lot like heavly coated border collies though, like Indy, so it happens!
 
I agree - she's very pretty, and less coat may actually be a bit of a blessing when it comes to grooming.

I was a little disappointed in concluding that Dickens would never have a long coat, but he's still very beautiful, and the advantages of a short coat make his having one worthwhile. He hardly sheds at all; he's easy to brush out, and when he runs and jumps you get a much better sense of his grace and agility!
 
In the one photo it almost looks as if she's doing the crouch. Her proportions somehow don't quite say Sheltie. She might very well be part Border Collie, though she's far too beautiful for it to be a problem.

Are you talking about the pictures on the rescue site? Because that's not Jasmine. She was using that dog to illustrate coat length.
 
Are you talking about the pictures on the rescue site? Because that's not Jasmine. She was using that dog to illustrate coat length.

Yes, I was looking at the wrong thing. Looking at the video, there's much more of a Sheltie look, albeit one of the sharp-nosed variety, as opposed to the round-nosed. Still very handsome, but then, most Shelties are either handsome or cute, so it almost goes without saying!
 
I still haven't made up my mind about her coat.. Since you don't know for sure she's a purebred sheltie, you just never know what her coat is going to do. My dog doesn't have a correct, full, sheltie coat. I actually like her coat a lot because it's a lot easier to manage. Plus I think it's probably more comfortable for her during the summer. I think no matter how long or short Jasmine's coat gets, she's still a very pretty sheltie who is lucky to have a home with you :biggrin2:.
 
She looks very much like a Sheltie/BC to me. My SS/BC for comparison: Soot and again (middle dog)

Her coat was not a thick sheltie coat but she did have the beautiful tail. On the plus side, dirt just fell right off of her.

In any case, your girl is adorable!
 
I agree that I think there is a mix there. Though I would have expected more undercoat by this age, even with a mix. While BCs don't have as much undercoat, they still have some. I also thought she was looking a little thin, but it's so hard to tell from photos. If she is, then I agree that adding some salmon oil to her diet will fatten her up abit and help skin and coat.
 
Barb - I've been thinking she's a little thin too! I'm overfeeding her, and still have her on puppy food (Blue Buffalo Freedom: Grain-Free Puppy, only stuff that cures her severe dandruff), but she seems to have leveled off. I'll have to try the salmon oil and see what it does for her. She was the boniest little puppy when I brought her home. I thought she was being starved when I first went to see her. She's around 20 lbs now, but she's all leg. My dad calls her spider dog. Lol. Anyways, thanks for all the observations with her coat. Regardless of what she ends up with, I'm totally in love with this little girl.
 
Beautiful Girl

Thanks for sharing. She's a beautiful girl. I live in Spokane and got our first Sheltie a year ago and he's changed my life - we're both more active and I love teaching him and having him teach me. Hopefully a second Sheltie/dog will happen someday.
Don
 
Back
Top