12 week puppy pulling back leg up

Djfit

Forums Novice
Hi there. I'm new here but have had Shelties for years. Our breeder is on vacation so I can't call her for another week. Our puppy is 12 weeks old. Sometimes when she gets up from laying or sitting she seems to pull her back leg forward too much giving her a hopping appearance for the first 5 steps or so. She is not in pain that I can tell and runs 100 percent normally.

Do I need to rush her to the vet or do you have any ideas? My hubby thinks it may be that fleas are bothering her and she is too busy to stop and scratch. We've had a terrible time finding a flea med that works. She has k9 advantix ii on now.

Thanks!
 
I must admit I would want to get her checked out by a vet. If its something that consistently happens it could be dysplasia or a luxating patella. Unlike us dogs often don't show pain unless its really bad so don't assume it doesn't hurt.

If it has just happened recently she may have just strained something in playing and a period of rest will help.
 
Sounds like a luxating patella to me, too.

My girl was just diagnosed with this, and from my research it sounds like that is what could be happening to your puppy. I was surprised to find out that limping can go away really quickly with this issue because once the leg is straightened, the patella pops back into place and they are good to go. Supposedly it is only a little painful as the patella pops over the ridge, but then doesn't hurt anymore after that.

I think a vet visit is in order.
 
Sounds like Luxcating Patella to me as well, My Gypsy had this issue as well. Hers would pop out and she would hop over to me to pop back in. Hers was pretty severe and needed surgery.
 
Oh my - I've never heard of this. Would this be something wrong with how she was bred or from an injury? This is the second Sheltie we've gotten from our breeder and she is a loving, responsible breeder.
 
Oh my - I've never heard of this. Would this be something wrong with how she was bred or from an injury? This is the second Sheltie we've gotten from our breeder and she is a loving, responsible breeder.

Could be either. Luxating patellas can be caused by trauma or genetics. I would say this young it's more likely to be genetic.

My girl is from a very reputable breeder, too. These things just occasionally crop up in the gene pool and can't always be avoided. Once you get a firm diagnosis--if it is something genetic, you may want to give your breeder the heads up so she can keep track.

Don't worry too much. There are different levels of luxation. Many don't need surgery and do just fine. And of those that get the surgery, they are able to go on and be dogs.

Also, we are just guessing based on the one thing you mentioned so I wouldn't get too caught up in our hypothetical diagnosis. Get to a vet and hopefully you can come up with a treatment plan from there.
 
Back
Top