Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

5 Generations Pedigree.

Discussion in 'Pedigrees' started by Smudge, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Smudge

Smudge Forums Sage

Jun 2, 2009
    AR
    That's the way the groomer and the vet tech did me - they acted like I was insane for asking questions. Too many things seem out of place for me. Time to get out while the getting's good! I'm going in for his last dip on the 14th, and then it's off to greener pastures (hopefully!). One of the things that really got my goat was that I once left my debit card up at their front desk after paying. They never called to tell me! They call my house to authorize payment for services, but won't call to tell me I left my debit card?! :mad:

I looked the other vet up on yahoo local. So now I have the exact street address. This vet's office is about 40-45 minutes away, but it's a small town like mine. Maybe they won't be so interested in horses there. Nothing wrong with horses and cows, but I don't own a horse or a cow! I own a sick dog!

I can say one thing. Smudge has been a learning experience for me. :lol:

2. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    That site is real neat! It took a bit but I have found some of Sca's lineage. Not sure the titles and what they mean, for instance:
    American Kennel Club Champion (Am Ch) <-- does this mean a win or what :confused2:

Seems that his last two generations are not in the database but then I have them. I might go and trace back a bunch of generations. It is interesting that most of his clan are Sable and White but there is some Tri's like him in there.

3. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Am CH is a big deal. To get a CH from the AKC. A dog competes against other dogs of its sex who are also trying to get their CH. A dog needs 15 points with atleast 2 3 pt or higher major wins.

Points are 1 to 5 per show. The point scale is made by the AKC and is different in different regions of the country based on number of dogs entered. It is also different for the sexes. For instance in Minnesota there must be atleast 2 dogs or 2 bitches to get any points. For bitches 2-9 gets 1 pt., 9-16 gets 2 pts, 17-20 gets 3 pts and a major, 21-26 gets 4 pts and a major, 27+ get 5 pts and major. You must get winner bitch or winner dog to get points. If you just win your class, you get a nice blue ribbon but thats it. :smile2:

So if 27 girls are entered only 1 gets points for that show. Shelties are really competative breed and it is an honor to earn a AKC Champoinship.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  4. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    WOW! glancing through his line he has a couple that have those and even some Canadian champs :winkgrin: No wonder he is such a handsome fellow (yes I am nuetral, really :yes:)

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I must admit, I get really puffed up when Bacca's siblings or his mom or dad get another win! Bacca and I live vicariously through those pups!

6. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    I have to ask this question, as reading about this.

Is it always the dam that will pass this on to a pup, or can a male carry the
    demodex and pass it on? My vet and I were discussing this a long time ago, and he said it was from the pup rubbing its face on the dam who would carry the demodex. He never mentioned the sire.

7. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    All dogs carry demodex mites even normal ones, which theory is they pick up as they pass though the birth canal. The genetic part is a weakness in the immune system that allows the demodex mites to reproduce and then cause clinical signs. So a sire or dam could be responsible of the immune system problems.

8. sable

sable Premium Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you for the answer, that I can understand, and it makes sense.

9. SheepOfBlue

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    So is there any software out there that is good for creating a genealogy of Sca? Mac preferred but I can do any. I looked at regular stuff for humans but there is not a good way to add titles and such.

10. RonandJan

RonandJan Forums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009
    Windward, FL
    I think BarbV had some software for doing the lineage.............somewhere on wome thread. Maybe she will remember, or maybe I just dreamed this.:sleepy::confused2: