6 month old with one undescended testicle - when should I neuter?

Wow. Thank you Dr Mac for your extremely informational reply.

As you know, in shelties, this issue comes up. It is heartbreaking for us, as breeders to have a beautiful boy that we are hoping to grow out, only to be cryptoid.
It does us no good to give them more time, hoping it will drop. We are always thinking of the next generation, and even if it comes down the propensity of seeing it again (in a future offspring) it just too great. Here is something that I was told that helps me in dealing with a stud dog, and managing my own.

Let's start with a scale of 1-10.Ten being the magic number for cryptoid. The stud dog is not cryptoid, but let's say he is leaning on the scale of 7. He breeds to a bitch that is a 2. All male puppies have distended testicles.

The next time this stud dog is used, the bitch's number is a 5. He being a 7, added to her 5 gives you a 12. Over the magic number of 10. The result is obvious cryptoid males, or fully distended males with a high number.

This is why it is not fair to put it all on the male. It is the combination of the sire AND dam that gives you the outcome.

This is only information that I received by attending a reproduction seminar. It is not my own research. I find it interesting and helpful.
 
Back
Top