A long weekend of competitions

Caro

Moderator
This weekend was the Canberra Royal comp - a two day comp at the Canberra Show. And I am EXHAUSTED. Boy oh boy two days of competition is a killer. Between my two I had 60 races each day - and with 2 days of running back and forth I clocked up some serious mileage. Plus Tully has decided to do this crazy pulling and leaping in the air while she is waiting her turn so even my fingers ache from holding her harness!

I am going to have to get myself into better shape before the next 2 day comp at Easter (which wil be the Nationals). Who'ld have thought I needed to be fit for flyball

In the end Tully's team came away with second place and Deska's team came last. But Deska was such a trooper, even with his arthritis he did a clean run every single race and by the last 2 rounds he was the only dog on his team that did any clean runs (they were all so exhausted). It was interesting because Deska's team is made up of labs and terriers, Tully's is all herding breeds and its pretty noticeable that the herders really have the stamina for these long comps.
 
Congratulations, Caro! Just for surviving, and for finishing with Deska and Tully! It sounds completely exhausting. I hope you have some time off to recover now. Big pats to your pups too! :yes:
 
Congratulations, Caro! It sounds like it was a great weekend... What a good dog Deska is, holding up to the very end.

Welcome home, put your feet up, and get some well-deserved rest!
 
Wow. My team never does the full two days. We usually go Sundays and even the one day is sooo grueling. And I haven't even competed yet!

By 60 races, you mean 60 times down the lane or 60 heats x (up to) 5 runs per heat = 300 RUNS!! Because holy cow, that would be a ton. We usually get 6-8 heats per dog in one day of competition, so each dog (start dog of course running more) gets 30-40 runs in a day. Sometimes the starters are so tired by the end, I'm grateful we have back-up dogs!

I've also noticed that the herders have the kind of stamina needed to be active toward the end of the day. Also, the condition of the dog really starts to show. I can see a huge difference in one of our dogs that put on a much needed couple pounds (she'd gotten sick and lost quite a bit - it took forever for her mom to get it back on her). It's why we don't take any offense to our captain telling us our dog is pudgy, under-weight, under-muscled, whatever. Of course, Duncan is really trim now that he's dropped his holiday pudge.
 
Ha ha - I doubt i would survive 300 runs! 2 dogs x 6 races x 5 heats per race - so they each had 30 runs per day. I think next time I do a 2 dayer with 2 dogs I'll be reducing my run up and run back. I'm getting too old for a 50 feet runback.:wink2:
 
Glad that you and the dogs made it back home safely. What a crazy weekend for you! Do you have any pictures to share of the flyball competition. I would love to see how the "set-up" looks like for you all.

Dani
 
Caro,

60 times is still a ton. And a 50 foot run-back would run anyone ragged! I haven't done much of a run-back with Duncan - maybe 10-15 feet, but some of that is due to the cramped space at our training facility, which is just the indoor play area of a doggie daycare one of our members owns.

I would also like to see the set-up for your flyball comp! I'll be sure to take tons of pictures at our next to compare.
 
Back
Top