Abby has colitis...need help please.

First, I didn't realize Abby has been on raw for a considerable amount of time. I don't pretend to be educated in raw diets, but is it possible she had a bad batch of food...spoiled, perhaps, that set off this recent issue?

The first thing I'd do when you finish the Forta Flora is put her on Dr. Goodpet digestive enzymes: http://www.goodpet.com/library/pharmacyFiles/canine.asp
It really helps dogs with digestive issues and is a holistic supplement Abby can stay on forever no matter what diet she eats. It really helped Pixie and I gave it on the advice of the canine nutritionist I used to get her through the colitis.

When I said monitor her treats, I meant don't give her anything that you don't know the ingedients -- for instance, regular dog treats from the supermarket. Read the labels on everything you feed her. You can certainly give holistic, single ingredient treats or carrots etc., but I'd even be careful with those until you have her system straightened out. Stay away from dairy products for now (yes, even yogurt) and stick with as few ingredients as you can until she's completely normal. The crunchy chicken treats should be fine if they're just chicken but do read the label and make sure they aren't made in China.

Pixie eats two meals a day. Remember the more meals you feed, the more poops you get. Abby could continue to have off and on loose stools until you stabilize her diet and gastrointestinal tract. I did a lot of research and homework when I went through this with Pixie and learned a great deal about feeding and dog food. One thing I found from experience is when you think you're out of the woods and give just that teeny piece of goodie that's off the menu, you'll have a flare-up. Stick with the program and also add some canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin from the can, not the pix mix) to Abby's food and that might help too. Just a spoon per meal.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you want more specific information. Good luck!

Ann - I am very particular as to what Abby gets for food. NO food/treats unless I give them to her. I spent a good time yesterday reading on the internet. Some good and some so-so. It's best to have advice from someone w/the same breed who has gone thru this. Plus its good to have info from a nutritionist. I will get some Dr. goodpet right now. ..I will include the pumpkin too. See, i read pumpkin and/or sweet potato, however if pumpkin worked for you then that is what i will use instead of trying both. The treats are 100% natural chicken nibbles made in china. Oh, well, i thought they were good. See, this is why I ask so many questions...thank you. What kinda treats do you feed?
 
The treats are 100% natural chicken nibbles made in china. Oh, well, i thought they were good. See, this is why I ask so many questions...thank you. What kinda treats do you feed?

Ah ha! That might be the origin of your problem. Chicken treats from China were recalled a few months ago for tainted ingredients. Don't feel bad, I used to use those little round chicken treats too ... live and learn. Now I read everythng and steer clear of anything from China. Here's a great article (BTW anyone can subscribe to Dr. Becker's newsletters for free and they're great) on Chinese ingredients.
http://healthypets.mercola.com/site...et-food-and-china-more-cause-for-concern.aspx

Anyway, I did forget to mention that what I did with Pixie when she was really sick was to not give her any treats. I kept a small bowl of her kibble by the door and whenever she needed a treat, she got a piece of kibble. That way I knew she wasn't getting anything outside her diet and she didn't know the difference. If it came from the bowl, it was a treat!

That worked so well that now I buy a bag of Wellness kibble and use that for treats for everyone. Less calories and I know what they're getting. So if you do settle on a kibble to feed, I'd use it for treats too for a while.
 
I have never had a dog with colitis, but see it in people. First thing you need to get the colitis settled down before adding a lot of different foods - raw etc. It may mean going on a food, like Ann did, that you are not particular about until you can get the colitis settled and then transition over slowly. If it were my dog, I would work closely with the vet - he is the trained professional. He is going to be working with you for quite a while to solve the immediate problem and work towards to solution that keeps the colitis in control.

Hope Abby is feeling better.


Couldn't agree with you more :yes: Working with a trained professional followed by your own research will result in great medical plan! :smile2:
 
The treats are 100% natural chicken nibbles made in china. Oh, well, i thought they were good. See, this is why I ask so many questions...thank you. What kinda treats do you feed?

The chicken treats from China could be the culprit. There was a recent FDA recall on chicken dog treats made in China.
Here's an article:
http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...en-jerky-treats-sicken-353-dogs-owners-report

This is probably something that you might want to mention to your vet.

I use Mini Zukes Treats.

Bailey had digestive issues when she was a puppy. Her issues were very similar to Ashley's Lexi. After trying a bunch of different foods, I suspected she had a chicken allergy. That was the only ingredient in all the kibbles I tried, but not in the prescription food from the vet, which she didn't have loose stool with. I eventually put her on a lamb limited ingredient diet kibble and it solved her problem. She is on regular kibble (TOTW) now and is doing great.

I hope Addy feels better soon.!
 
:no: Sorry to hear .. not pleasant. :eek2: Dexter used to get rounds of this from time to time ... funnily enough seemrd to happen around March or April .. poor baby ... feel better really soon :yes:
 
Back
Top