Advice on puppy problems.

I always trained my pups on leash at first even though I have a fenced back yard. I travel with them and go to shows with them and they need to know how to go on lead, it isn't an opinion. All 3 puppies were shy at first being on lead but they needed to get over it. A couple days of waiting them out and they understood.

That being said with both Ember and Diva their first time to a show, they both had trouble going on leash. Justice lived in an apartment his first 3 yrs so it wasn't a problem for him. Ember held everything for 24 hours and Diva refused to poop for 36 hrs. I just kept taking them outside often. When they finally went ,we had a party and they felt so much better that I never had another problem. It was an AH AH moment for both of them. The key is waiting them out as small puppies or adults. If they don't go, kennel them or tether them to you and try again in a short time and then praise when they finally go.

That makes total sense! Unfortunately, its one of those things that I don't actually need to do except 2 times per year! I'm wondering if I would screw the boys up if I suddenly put them on a leash in the backyard to do their business???
 
That makes total sense! Unfortunately, its one of those things that I don't actually need to do except 2 times per year! I'm wondering if I would screw the boys up if I suddenly put them on a leash in the backyard to do their business???

They would probably look at you weird the first couple times but would get used to it. You could start and then do it once or twice a month for maintaince after they get it.

I worked in a boarding keenel for many years. We had to walk all the dogs for potty time. It took some dogs a while to figure it out. I would walk them and give them about 10 minutes to do their business and then put them back. Walk a few more dogs and then go back to the ones who don't go the first round. Rarely it took more then 3 rounds for success. If they didn't go, they were the first ones to go out in the evening. Rarely a dog didn't have it down after a couple days.

A couple of my friends now have broading kennels and they both have large yards for the dogs to run it. So much easier. Just rotate it and out the dogs. :smile2:
 
Back
Top