After surgery advice

I’ve used onesies, or post surgical suits. You can find them on Amazon for males and females so they don’t have to be removed to eliminate. Or you can get an inflatable collar, also on amazon, that’s much easier for them to wear. Most dogs end up treating it as a pillow.
 
Welcome, Ellen! Mine have done really well with the inflatable neck collars. They use them as a pillow. It keeps their faces free so they can eat and drink. I've also used a surgical suit that someone loaned me. You can make a makeshift one by using a pair of kid's underwear or shorts with a hole cut for the tail.

What is your boy's name?
 
Welcome, Ellen! Mine have done really well with the inflatable neck collars. They use them as a pillow. It keeps their faces free so they can eat and drink. I've also used a surgical suit that someone loaned me. You can make a makeshift one by using a pair of kid's underwear or shorts with a hole cut for the tail.

What is your boy's name?
Thanks for the advice - he’s Ozy short for Ozymandias of sonnet fame. My husband has naming rights for all dogs. My mom had a sheltie when I was in college who was Oliver so he’s sort of named for him as well. What size neck color do you recommend? Ozy is oversized which is how I got him. He grew too big for his owner to show. A win for me for sure. Trying to add his pic but failing….
 
Last edited:
we love pics!

I used all of the above on Pico: a onesie, shorts, inflatable collar, and elizabethan collar.
These guys can surprise yo, so be prepared :)
He was neutered, but he had an incision in the traditional spot AND on his belly (they had to go hunting for an undescended testicle).
 
Thanks for the advice - he’s Ozy short for Ozymandias of sonnet fame. My husband has naming rights for all dogs. My mom had a sheltie when I was in college who was Oliver so he’s sort of named for him as well. What size neck color do you recommend? Ozy is oversized which is how I got him. He grew too big for his owner to show. A win for me for sure. Trying to add his pic but failing….
welcome- we do love pix:yes:
to add a pic, you need to be a premium member - or you can upload to a photo site and post the link.....
 
We have used inflatable collars before and they work well- Frankly our dogs over the years have really not had too much of an issue with the wound. The collar or diaper or onsie will keep them away from licking it for a couple of days and unless it gets infected the irritation should be good soon. The hard part is keeping them off the stairs are running around since they don't seem to know or care about what just happened..they are glad to be home. Good luck.
 
Welcome Ellen!
I’ve used kids shorts for my boys neuter (cut a hole for the tail) that I’d bought at a thrift store. Most recently I had my now 4 year old gird spayed at I bought a recovery suit. I found it worked much better for the first couple days (she really didn’t bother with it after that) and was much easier to just unhook the back so she could go outside. When buying online make sure you measure your dog as they tell you to…I measured the back, neck and chest to get accurate measurements and it worked out perfectly.
The one I bought was for both males and females…for males it had an area you could cut so you wouldn’t have to remove the back end…would make it much easier to use.
This is the one I purchased…
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0DSKHK5Q5?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1
I also bought the neck cushion, didn’t need to use it but it would’ve worked good on its own to stop them from licking and not nearly as bothersome as the dreaded cone!
 
Back
Top