Agility

Sharon

Forums Sage
Sting started agility school last night and had fun. Of course we were a half hour late because I got lost. It is a foundation class.I showed up in NH this past weekend and took Sting along for socialization and fun. He drooled all the way up and all the way back. Yuck!!!:no:He was a litttle stressed but after awhile he was having fun.Shadow did well for not having run in over five weeks.I have to get him ready for Tenn. in April. Before we left for NH I had fallen on my butt at home and then on Sunday I did the same thing. we stopped for gas and I got out of the car and next thing I know I am on my butt again. I am black and blue and sore.I hate this weather. :mad:
 
Good luck on the agility!

And yes, winter can't be over soon enough. Unfortunately, the damn Groundhog is predicting a long winter. Somebody should take out that varmint and get one that that tells us what we want to hear! Any rednecks on the forum??? :razz:
 
Good luck to Sting !

Snap and I have just had our first exposure to agility in a flatwork class. It's been a blast ! I was working with him on a figure 8 last night, with him still on lead. Between hands, a leash, and trying to get up some speed, I managed to fall face first. It wasn't pretty, but I recovered well. Something tells me I'm going to hold my dog back........ Hope I don't embarrass him too much.
 
Good luck on the agility!

And yes, winter can't be over soon enough. Unfortunately, the damn Groundhog is predicting a long winter. Somebody should take out that varmint and get one that that tells us what we want to hear! Any rednecks on the forum??? :razz:

Hey, I can't help it I saw my shadow yesterday!! Why would you want to take me out? Hehehehe, long running joke that I'm the groundhog since it's my birthday!
 
Hey, I can't help it I saw my shadow yesterday!! Why would you want to take me out? Hehehehe, long running joke that I'm the groundhog since it's my birthday!

Happy Birthday! We'll give you a safe haven for now. All other groundhogs though are fair game! :uhoh::eek2:
 
I'm with you guys on that one, I hope that winter ends soon. The snow just melt and it's back again today. I'm hoping to get Sophie involved in agility when she gets a bit older. She's got the skinniest little legs though, I hope she doesn't fracture one while running.
 
Happy Birthday, Shaun. :smile2: I bought YakTrax for my Dad (central PA) a few years ago and today he told me that they work really great- they slip on over regular shoes and provide traction on ice. I have some too for when I get up there - course there hasn't been snow at Christmas for the last 3 years there. but seems like the cold air is getting down here to make me shiver. but Callie likes it- silly sheltie.
 
Hi,

We went to see our 1st meet on Sunday. I hadn't even seen one, except on TV. Ginger did really well with all the excitement. She loved meeting the other Sheltie's there.

It struck me that learning the obstacles is only part of the process. The hard part is going to the correct ones in the correct order and staying focused wiht all the other dogs and excitement going on. This was an indoor trial.

I think we're going to take a beginner's class in March, Ginger will be 1 year in April. I don't know if we'll follow through to do competitions, it looks like fun.
 
I started agility training back in September and currently taking a class that focuses on Contacts and Weaves (and I'm STRONGLY considering taking this class again before moving onto my agility club's "103" level class).

What actually surprised me was the minute details you DON'T see unless you know what you are looking for. Footwork, body language, and the other non-verbal cues that can directly impact how your dog responds. Even the techniques used for jumping are more detailed than they look on TV. Looking back, it shouldn't have surprised me since very sport has its own unique nuances and finer details you only learn once you start training.

Edan and I are having a BLAST with Agility. He was across the Dog Walk and up the A-Frame (both at training height) for the first time last week and LOVED it. Every time we passed the ramps he wanted to run the obstacle.

I originally wasn't planning on doing competitions either but, if I really want to put my skills to use and continue to use this as an activity for Edan and I then trials are going to be the primary outlet for that. I don't care if I qualify or win titles... I just want to have fun with my dog.
 
Back
Top