Albon and Worming

The puppy deworm medicine instructions actually call for the doses to begin at 2 weeks old.

Per the instructions of my vet, we begin at 4 weeks.
Never had any worms in any of our pets...but puppies dehydrate and die so easily that the dewormer is given as a precaution i.e. don't wait for them to look sick before starting it.

As for the other med, it may have been given as one or more of her dogs/pups showed signs of the illness, and so she was covering all of the dogs to prevent death from dehydration/diarrhea.

That was my thought also Janet.

And yes..I can attest to the fact that in our pups,from first visits thru now,they have never had one positive worm test.TY for the care & time of these puppies long before they go to forever homes.
 
In the Veterinary Drug Handbook by Plumb(the veterinary drug bible), there is a protocol for using pyrantel(nemex-2, strongid and many others) in puppies that has a treatment schedule at 2,3,4,6,8, and 10 wks. This is generally the protocol for puppies that are in an environment with previous problems or mothers who have parasites themselves..

I don't know too many people that follow that protocol though. Most I know start at 4, 6, 8 wks followed by fecal or 5wks and then at 8 wks then fecal exam. Deworm again as needed. Problem with fecal exams in really young puppies is they are only about 70% accuate(any age) and in young pups the worms themselves many not be old enough to shed ova into the feces as it takes 2-3 months for the worms to mature.That is why routine deworming is reccomend in puppies. For kittens the lifecycle for roundworms is different so you don't have to deworm before 6 wks for roundworms.

Albon is using to treat coccida and sometimes stress or general diarrhea. It is a sulfa based antibiotic. Possible the puppies could have had diarrhea and it was a general treatment or maybe they had coccida. Ember got coccida at 4 months from eating rabbit feces in the yard. Most adult dogs can deal with it on their own most of the time.
 
Bailey had a stool sample the day after i got her from the breeder. She was positive for coccidia. She was prescribed albon and it cleared it all up.
 
The paper said he was given Albon at three weeks old. Can worms and such really develop that fast? :confused2::eek2:

Shows how much I know. :biggrin2:

I just googled three week old shelties (to get a visual of how tiny that would have made him). Do they give the medicine as a liquid in a syringe?
 
The paper said he was given Albon at three weeks old. Can worms and such really develop that fast? :confused2::eek2:

Shows how much I know. :biggrin2:

I just googled three week old shelties (to get a visual of how tiny that would have made him). Do they give the medicine as a liquid in a syringe?

It is a liquid,pale yellow in color,and yes I have administered it by syringe in mouth.
 
I generally start worming at the age of three weeks and then every two weeks. Until they are eight weeks old.

Coccidia is actually pretty easy for puppies to obtain. Grrrrr!
 
The paper said he was given Albon at three weeks old. Can worms and such really develop that fast? :confused2::eek2:

Shows how much I know. :biggrin2:

I just googled three week old shelties (to get a visual of how tiny that would have made him). Do they give the medicine as a liquid in a syringe?

Yes they can get worms at 3wks. Roundworms can be passed from the mother to the puppies in the uterus(most common way most puppies get roundworms),though the milk and though the feces of the mother. I have necropsy 3wks puppies that died from intestinal blockage due to roundworms. Pyrantel is the treatment of choice for roundworms and hookworms. If the mother dog every had roundworms in her life(which an estimated 90% of dog have), a small number of eggs encyst in the muscle after treatment and they carry them there for years. In times of stress, such pregnancy those eggs activate and become develop into adults and those worms infect the puppies but the means I listed above.

Now Albon is for coccida. It is not a worm but is a parasite. It can also be used for general diarrhea in tiny puppies. So she may given it to them if they just had diarrhea cause unknown. As Sheltieluver said Coccida is very easy for a puppy to get.

Both Pyrantel and Albon are yellow liquids.
 
Last edited:
Wow!!! Thanks for that tip Dr JusticeMom:). Very good information about how bitches can carry eggs for years... Because of that information, I think maybe I will move up on the deworming to two weeks now. I am always nervous about worming(even at 3 wks) as I am scared of a puppy inhaling the wormer.
 
I use a non-standard worming method, and it works pretty well, at least from my single sample of one litter. Diatomaceous Earth was fed to the dam from the day she was bred until the day she cut the puppies off the milk (at 8 weeks). I mixed DE in with the puppy gruel the puppies were getting, and then wormed them with Nemex2 at 8 1/2 weeks. Their 9 week fecal ELISA test came back clear. I never saw a worm. The dam did have tapeworms when I got her, so she had been big-time wormed a few months before she was bred, that may have helped. I'm doing the same thing with the litter currently cooking, we'll see what happens.
 
Back
Top