Another trial

It seems to work better for me at least if I run as if I know my dog is going to do its' job than to try to protect it from taking an off course. If the dog is reading you the way it should, and your cues are correct, the dog should take the right obstacle. Don't let others NQing right and left get you worried so much that you change your plan either. Only you know your dog, and know what he's likely to do.

You are very right. 99% of the time, I think he follows us and doesn't bother grabbing the a-frame. Chances are, he doesn't even see it.

Funny thing is, if you watch his first standard video, he does grab the a-frame! Of course,I set him up poorly, but I never expected him to go that far away from me. I wish he could do that in gamblers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWy6qcSKBg8
 
Gosh you guys have been really busy! That looks like a neat trial site, although from the video it looks to be climate controlled (but not quite so from what you said....)

I see you getting frustrated with Bentley's contacts like I did with Bellas. She had running contacts that slowly fell apart as we moved up in levels, started competing more, and started competing mostly in USDAA.

Regardless of the frustrating contacts, there were some really nice things about your runs. Even though Bentley didn't place, his steeplechase finals run was pretty speedy. The jumpers run was very smooth as well. You did a good job handling him on that course. :smile2:

April, thanks for your compliments. We have definitely been busy. The winter is our busy trialing season! Seems counterintuitive since it's pretty cold out, though. And yes, the site seemed like it should have been climate controlled, but it was quite cold!

We just scheduled a private lesson with Stuart Mah to work on our contacts. I am definitely at a loss for what to do! I don't want it to become so bad that we stop trialing because we know he can't hit them (although this contact is great...not sure how it happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7D7ILcLkc). It's gotten to the point where we don't really want to enter standard right now because we know he's going to miss.
 
We just scheduled a private lesson with Stuart Mah to work on our contacts. I am definitely at a loss for what to do! I don't want it to become so bad that we stop trialing because we know he can't hit them (although this contact is great...not sure how it happened: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S7D7ILcLkc). It's gotten to the point where we don't really want to enter standard right now because we know he's going to miss.

Very cool!!! Here's hoping it'll help Bentley. Did you see the Bud Houston blog I sent your way?

I think, regardless of the contacts, you guys are doing so well with him! He's come a LONG ways, just remember that. (even though I beat myself up too) I think he'll get the contacts eventually, and then, you better watch out, he's going to be Q'ing everything and you'll want to trial all the time. :) Until then, just keep reminding yourself it's a process.
 
Back
Top