Apparently Dogs can fast...I'm at my whits end. HELP!

On 'Its me or the dog' Victoria Stillwell put a little bit of garlic on the food of some very fussy eaters (poodles or chi - cant remember). These dogs had never eaten dog food and never eaten out of a dog bowl and yet gobbled up the food. She said it is about making the smell more appetising because dogs have a pref for strong smelling things. I often put sprinkle a little garlic powder or paprika on my dogs' food now.

I would probably try Merrick canned if I was having a heavy duty fast going on, with a protein he hadn't had before. It used to be that the thought was canned was bad for dogs, now it's been proven that it's better for their overall kidney health.
 
I've also read that canned food is very good for dogs. Nothing wrong with moisture and the quality of the meat used now is good. Plus in the dry food they have to use additional products to make what was originally moist into a dried product.

I give mine dry in the morning because it helps firm the stools but if I don't cook in the evening I give them good quality tinned. They only need a small tin between the two. Of course it is a lot more expensive.
 
I use the Merrick canned. It stopped the fussy eating. It is very rich. I only use a teaspoon and thin it with hot water. Throw in the dry, and she chows down. She loves her wingalings. Grammy's pot pie is suppose to also be a doggy favorite. I did try the pate type canned food. She turned up her nose. So if you go for canned try a soupy variety.
 
I use the Merrick canned. It stopped the fussy eating. It is very rich. I only use a teaspoon and thin it with hot water. Throw in the dry, and she chows down. She loves her wingalings. Grammy's pot pie is suppose to also be a doggy favorite. I did try the pate type canned food. She turned up her nose. So if you go for canned try a soupy variety.

Yes, I've been doing the same for Bacca and despite my previous posts, he's suddenly eating everything again - in one go - and by himself. Hot water, 1/3 cup of kibble and a spoon of stew-type canned food. I'm thinking about adding the canned to Indy now. I figure he will be MY slave if I do! He's such a piggy!
 
Barb glad to hear Bacca is eating! Mine has been licking the bowl for over a month. Before it was go get a few bites and eat them on the carpet. Maybe do that a couple times, then she was done.

I believe I noticed on previous posts that you were feeding a high protein kibble. Mine was on the red meat Evo. However the combo of that and the Merrick was just too much. I think it was just making her uric acid too high. She is not much of a water drinker and I think the combo was too much for her system. She seemed to be getting irritated around her pee-pee area. Her stools were also too soft. So I dropped her down to just the regular chicken Innova. That is also why I started adding the hot water. Trying to make sure she had a little more liquid in her system.

She's more than halfway through just the regular Innova and her symptoms have disappeared. She seems to prefer the regular over the high protein. Maybe it's the difference between the red meat and the chicken? My sheltie prior to the new pup couldn't tolerate rich red meat. Any case, didn't mean to high jack the thread, but just wanted to give you a head's up.
 
Back
Top