Are Shelties diggers??

View attachment 14267 I'm sitting here looking at all the snow melting in my backyard anticipating a muddy mess when it does. I have 3 Shelties (4 counting the one who passed away a few years ago) 3 males and 1 female. The males are very prissy and don't even like to get their feet wet. The female likes to dig holes and get as dirty as possible. I never thought of Shelties as diggers and wondered how common this is.

Here is a picture of Maxine - the "little angel" from one of her earlier excavation projects. This wasn't the worse one.

Roberta
ADORABLE!!!
 
This is my Toby, now about 1 1/2, as a pup. He loved to dig! I even wrote in to the Puppies 101 forum to ask for advice on how to stop him from digging.
Now that a lot of the grass/green stuff in the back yard has died there's a lot more appealing looking dirt for digging again. So he's back to digging but not as much as before. I'm hoping he'll outgrow it! If I catch him in the act and tell him NO he just looks at me like I don't know what I'm talking about! Apparently he thinks I don't understand his business of digging! Lol
 

Attachments

  • 20180104_125318-1.jpg
    20180104_125318-1.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 5
Lexi used to dig, but I found it was when she was outside and bored. I learned to keep her engaged and tired and it mostly got rid of the digging.
 
Yes Shelby likes to dig and she is almost 9. She especially likes to dig when we are on vacation at the beach. I think she tries to find the bugs in the ground. At home she digs like crazy trying to get to the chipmunks. She also will pull the weeds about between our patio rocks as well as my flowers when they are dying. Sometimes I think she is a little OCD because she can’t stand the weeds between the rock.
 
Two of my adults are excavators. It's like having gopher holes in the dog yard and heaven help you if you step in one and break an ankle. The rest couldn't care less about digging. There's no ryhme or reason as far as I can tell for the two that love to dig!
 
Back
Top