Are you chosen!?

this is oldish and new models are being worked now, one of them is Susanne Clothier CARAT system, I have attended one day of her seminar, very good stuff.
But this is basic. For the cuddliness factor I would look for social interaction and how puppy uses the space around human-
1- does puppy follow you in new location
2- does puppy allows you to be close into his space or if not held will move away, stay close but out of reach
3- touch sensitivity

http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php
 
this is oldish and new models are being worked now, one of them is Susanne Clothier CARAT system, I have attended one day of her seminar, very good stuff.
But this is basic. For the cuddliness factor I would look for social interaction and how puppy uses the space around human-
1- does puppy follow you in new location
2- does puppy allows you to be close into his space or if not held will move away, stay close but out of reach
3- touch sensitivity

http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php


Thank you for breaking it down into 3 simple steps when evaluating puppy temperment.

Before we got Megan, you should have seen the stacks and stacks of magazines I had and even a "Puppies for Dummies" book in an effort to choose the "right" one..

By the way, what does touch sensitivity mean or indicate??
 
I completely agree with what Tofu Pup is talking about when choosing a puppy.

When we got our second sheltie we wanted to match the puppy more to our lifestyle and when i was on the phone with breeders prior to visiting i wanted to know what the parents were like and what the pups were like.

The breeders that we were most interested in gave us details on the pup’s personalities and instead of naming the pups they named them by personality;

Needs a Job (lots of energy, will need active family or into agility, flyball etc. to keep him busy find a sport)

Couch Potato (best for inactive home/maybe older couple or someone very inactive)

Adorable/Loving, attentive, has energy but doesn't need a job, would do great in sports if that's what you decide; she's a quick learner

Thinker, attentive, energetic but not over the top; would do great in sports if that's what you decide; he's a quick learner

We were one of the first ones to pick and since we had shelties before she let us choose which one we wanted...but with the others she did not place them if she didn't think it was going to be a good match.. She told me she wasn't going to give the "Couch Potato" to the family with 3 young boys and mom was a mathon jogger. Nor was she going to give the "Needs a job" to and elderly couple as she knew neither the pupply nor the family was going to be suited for each other.

They were all so cute....would have taken them all if we could.
 
Thank you for breaking it down into 3 simple steps when evaluating puppy temperment.

Before we got Megan, you should have seen the stacks and stacks of magazines I had and even a "Puppies for Dummies" book in an effort to choose the "right" one..

By the way, what does touch sensitivity mean or indicate??

Shelties as a breed are touch sensitive, that is probably one reason why they do not particularly like body wrestling/ body slamming games that labs and rotties prefer... My thoughts on the subject that some puppies are extra sensitive to the touch and petting just does not feel good to them... if you teach them they will tolerate it but on their own they will stay out of your reach... Che is velcro dog, he is always with me or hubby but never close enough to make it cuddly. Sometimes he gets startled even if I slightly touch his back. I am trying to toughen him up since he needs it for his sports but he would never be a cuddler.
I would favor heavily puppy who when picked up and petted is not squirmy and adjust rather easily in your lap for those who look for cuddly dog.
 
I agree with Tofu pup on picking a puppy. I cant tell you how many people were miffed at me because I dont let them choose a puppy! I'd get the well I want to choose why cant I!?

1. when I breed im looking for my next show hopeful, im not going to sell the best one in the litter as a pet!!! Thats just crazy!

2. Im not going to sell your family with 3 wild children the puppy that you come and fall in love with because its cute, but is my reserved puppy and isnt into the whole being chased and dressed up by your children...Im going to sell you the wild child outgoing doesnt mind what you do to it puppy. Just like im not going to sell the older quiet couple who are looking for a lap/lounge dog my wild must be outside running to be happy all day dog.

Its not fair to either party involved. Its not fair to the dog and their continued happiness. It comes down to we've spent day in day out with these dogs for atleast the past 8 weeks, we know their personalities and quirks, what they tolerate and what drives them. Than we can narrow it down to 2 puppies or so and let you decide, what one "clicks" with you. Sometimes its hard to find that right home for them, and it mean holding them for a bit longer than i'd like, but they are not going to be just placed because well they are already 10 weeks everyone MUST GO~:rolleyes2:
 
Others have mentioned that there can be a number of varying factors that effect the pup's temperment on the day you visit. So that's definately something to be aware of.

Taking a few trips to the breeder, or letting the breeder tell you about their personalities will help greatly in your selection process. But I think before you even go that far you have to take a good look at your own lifestyle & personality. Your definately not going to want to grab the super energetic crazy pup in the litter no matter how cute he/she is if you spend 90% of your day on the couch.

As for my selection process, well when I went to the breeders we had a nice long conversation about the dogs personalities. The pups were put into a play area and all came over to see "The new guy" who was standing outside their play area. I did a brief evaluation of their personalities by watching how they played with eachother, there was a larger pup with perfect markings who was the boss, always instigating play, chasing everyone around, ect. There was the runt of the litter who spent most of his time trying to stick up for himself against his older brother. Then there was Vash, who was playful and yet extremely mellow.

Well I ended up taking Vash home, and as far as I'm concerned I got the pick of the litter. I constantly get compliments on how calm and wonderful he is. Granted those people don't have to live with him...but dispite his occasional ability to drive me bonkers he's a great pup.
 
Back
Top