Are you competitive?

I am totally 100% competitive, sad to say. I am trying to learn to relax and just have fun, but it is hard for me to do. Just a few weeks ago, our training classes were cut down to once every two weeks. I was NOT happy at all. And to boot, one of our classmates was able to transfer to a Saturday spot, that was still being held weekly. I was so jealous and went home and vowed to make sure that Maia does not get 'out done' by a cocker spaniel! (yes, petty of me, I know) but she just can't be out done, so I vowed to practice even more at home, to watch more DVD's to make up the lost class time at home. Silly, I know.

I totally understand. I grew up playing lots of sports, and I've always had a competitive streak. We started agility with a group of dogs at the same time, and there was one other sheltie. Naturally the other sheltie and Bentley are the only ones remaining of the original group. I always really, really want to beat that sheltie! I know it's irrational, but people always confuse the two of them, and I want Bentley to stand out. Now I don't go so far as to get mad at my dog or anything, but I definitely feel a higher level of success if we beat the other sheltie. It's definitely petty, but I am guilty of it too.

(And don't worry, I'm not mean to the other sheltie's owner...in fact I like both the owner and the dog!)
 
Why'd they cut classes down to every other week? :/ Dogs and handlers aren't going to progress as quickly just working every other week.
 
She cut the classes down because she says she had to go back to work and foundation classes take a lot of energy for her. I would change instructors, but there is only one other one that is as good (if not better) than mine, but she is not taking new students and has a 2 year waiting list AND she is best friends with my instructor, so I don't think that she would take me anyway. So, I am stuck and I am upset too. I was really wanting to progress faster than this. I know that Maia can learn. I was so hoping to be ready to at least try a NADAC 'jumpers' or a 'tunnerlers' in July when I go to see Maia's breeder. It would have been such a treat for her to be able to see Maia at a trial. She lives over 15 hours from here, so it's not like I would be going to trials there often. But the weekend I am going out there, there happens to be a NADAC trial right where she lives. I will see how much I can do on my own.
 
Just a few weeks ago, our training classes were cut down to once every two weeks. I was NOT happy at all. And to boot, one of our classmates was able to transfer to a Saturday spot, that was still being held weekly.

Why was the class changed to once every other week? Dogs, especially dogs that are just learning the sport, can forget A LOT in two weeks. I just saw this with the dogs in one of the classes I'm assisting with.

We missed last week because of snow and EVERY DOG had to take a step backwards on learning the weave poles because when we tried to set the channel weaves were they were the week prior to the missed class ALL the dogs were popping. When we moved the spacing back about an inch they were fine. When we closed them again, they popped. We ended up closing them maybe 1/4 inch instead of a full inch. That is a HUGE step backwards for dogs that were really making serious progress with the poles.

Hopefully you're classes will return to weekly or you'll be able to find another class to attend.
 
Oh no I don't think that they will be going back to once a week anytime soon. This session goes until April, and then it's spring time, so she will not be renting the indoor facility and will wait until her field is dry! I really wish I was with that other instructor, but I just don't know how to go about it without offending my instructor and at the same time having the other insturctor take me on (being best friends with my current instructor). :sadsmile: (oh and did I mention that my current instructor is also an agility judge now too!)
 
I don't think it would be considered offensive if you were to switch simply to get to train in a class setting more often. Its not like you would be leaving her because you don't like the way she does things. If it was explained that you wanted to switch simply because you feel you need to be in class more often than once every other week, I don't see how she could be upset. After all, if she in unable to meet your needs, you should be free to go to someone who can.
 
I have to agree with Stacey here. You should be able to take your business to a different trainer who can meet your needs without fear of reprisal from your current trainer - especially as a judge in the ring. (If you suspect she's judging your runs unfairly, I'm sure there are ways to take your concerns to NADAC.) Heck, there are people in my club who teach classes there but take their classes elsewhere because what they are looking for they can't get at our club. It's nothing against the club, just different goals.

There is a right and wrong way to end the relationship with her, for example... Approach her and thank her for all you learned and say how valuable it is to your training. Then explain that unfortunately you feel the need for more regular class time to meet your goals and that you hope you will have the opportunity to train under her again.

Basically, handle it like you would if you were quitting one job for another. You don't want to burn the bridge whether you intend to go back or not since you never know when or if your paths will cross. In this case, because agility communities tend to be smaller circles, there is a pretty good chance you will cross paths again.

If your current instructor is any sort of professional, she'll respect your need for a different instructor and environment to learn under. If she's not, then you need to ask yourself if you really want to train under someone like that in the first place.

The other way you can handle it is just stop signing up for classes at this instructors facility and take your business elsewhere with no explanation. If you encounter her and she asks, be honest - you needed more consistent class time to meet your goals.

You have every right to spend your time and money where you see fit and not have to worry about people being vengeful. Like I said above, if she doesn't judge runs impartially, which she should do whether she's someones instructor, friend, or total stranger, take it to NADAC.
 
Last edited:
You know, for a long time I was taking Tully to a different dog club for agility because they werent running classes at my local club. I felt like a bit of a traitor, so when they reintroed classes I went back with both dogs, although Tully had to drop down a few levels. Then I discovered at our xmas breakup that all the instructors were actually going to classes at that club too! Turns out there are a couple of judges that instruct their and they like to get the extra input (they train at both clubs). As for loyalty - what they said was your loyalty is to you and your dog, not the club. Most people in agility are highly competitive anyway and would not question anything you did to improve your chances.
 
I've thought of asking the other instructor about being put on her waiting list for an opening. She knows who I am, so I might be able to get in 'faster' than someone who she does not know. I was thinking of doing BOTH classes, keeping my instructor and the new one. They both teach the same method, so there would be no contradictions in method, but then I am not sure if that would be too 'greedy' of me. I do not want to train with anyone else, as these two ladies are the best in MB and the only other club that I was considering, I decided against after seeing a small sheltie at a seminar get hurt on one of their jumps (they have home made jumps that have bolts, yes bolts, that stick out perpendicualr to the jump bar (the bolts are used to hold the jump bar in place). The poor sheltie was running fast and made a tight turn for the jump and hit his face on the bolt! It was horrible. So since then, I said, nope, not going to chance an accident like that with Maia, so I would not even consider training there. Safety to my dog always comes first!
 
I was so jealous and went home and vowed to make sure that Maia does not get 'out done' by a cocker spaniel! (yes, petty of me, I know) but she just can't be out done, so I vowed to practice even more at home, to watch more DVD's to make up the lost class time at home. Silly, I know.

Ah-ha! So I'm not the only one that doesn't want to be "outdone" by a non-typical agility dog (aka the Cavalier). hehehe.
 
Back
Top