Arthritis: Tramadol, Cosequin, Fish Oil, Other?

I have read that apple cider vinegar is an option, also. I also have heard that coconut oil and black strap molasses are options to try.

Oh yes! I forgot about coconut oil! Here are some links I found.

Apple Cider Vinegar
http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-dogs.html
Coconut oil
http://www.ehow.com/about_6587163_coconut-oil-dogs.html
Strap molasses
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/molasses_for_dogs.html
Also Arthro-ionx
http://www.vetionx.com/arthro-ionx_dog.php?gclid=CK6tg4S3-LYCFcLc4AodnWsAjQ
 
Last edited:
NSAIDs ie Rimadryl(carprofen) metacam, Deramaxx and aspirin et all are used with EXTREME caution in dogs with Kindey disease/failure.

The reason is all of these drugs can cause GI ulceration(some more than others) and dogs with kindey disease are already predisposed to GI ulcers. The use of these drugs in these patients could cause severe GI bleeds, anorexia, vomiting and dehydration and compensation of the kidney disease.

Adequan injections maybe a good additon to his therapy along with what you have already. They worked really well for Justice. Tramadol could be increased as well if he is on the lower dose.

With any supplement you add, check with your vet who has full knowledge of all the medications that Miko is on and his current disease condition. Even some natural supplements can have side effects that are contraindicated in dogs with renal disease.
 
Thanks everyone. And of course Dr. Shelli for her knowledge. I forgot to call the vet. You see, that's why I asked here first. LOL.

So I take it then, Tramadol is not an NSAID. It's probably why my internist suggested it for Miko. And since Dr. Shelli pointed out that NSAIDs aren't good for kidneys, I should probably stay away from all anti-inflammatories as I'm assuming they all take a toll (which I should know since I take way too much ibuprofen/aleve). Hmmm.....

I had heard that glucosamine doesn't do much. When I started it, I figured it couldn't hurt. Of course I'm close to being out (I'm slacking on timing here - which reminds me I have to order something else), but it's costly and the money could go elsewhere if needed.

I forgot, my vet did suggest acupuncture. I wonder how much that would cost. I guess if it helps.....it may be worth it. Granted, the drive there may be stressing on him anyways. I wonder if they do it in-home. Hmmmm.....something to look into.

Neoprene. Well. I guess since Miko got used to his diaper, that may work. I can't sew on a button, so I'd have to enlist my Mom. I started thinking, maybe I can just buy one of those agility jacket thingy's. LOL. More expensive but no work necessary. Darn, nothing for the shoulder area, only a whole body thing.

I'll up Miko's Tramadol and see what happens. Right now, he's taking 12.5mg 2-3x daily as needed (I've been giving it to him mainly at night). I'll give him 25mg and see what that does overnight. :) Or when he's having a really rough day. Some days are better.

Again, thanks everyone. I think it helps knowing I have a lot of options, even if they may not all work since Miko has kidney failure and I have to decide, is it worth it to tax his kidneys for XYZ? That part sucks.
 
Back
Top