Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Asking to go out to potty? How to train?

Discussion in 'Sheltie Training' started by myminpins, Feb 19, 2009.

1. myminpins

myminpins Forums Regular

Dec 18, 2008
    Dartmouth, NS
    Yes, and I mentioned above, we have cats that love playing with dangly things so that doesn't work here :biggrin2: Titan also cannot get to the door from here - he has to go to the gate. :smile2:

2. ryanelguiri

ryanelguiri Forums Regular

Aug 26, 2008
    I wanted to train Ella to go outside and use the Bells, but she kept hitting them to go outside and play.

If she wants to go outside, she honestly just gets super cranky and barks without calming down.

In the AM she comes up to me and licks my face or lays on my chest, then I know its time to head out.

If you want Titan to do something, just teach it like you would with any other command.

Good luck!

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I can see how the ringing bells would drive you nuts after awhile. Especially when it's not about "doing business".

Mostly, you don't even need signals. My guys are so regular I know exactly when they NEED to go outside vs. WANT to go outside. NEED is first thing in the morning, after they eat, at lunch when I come home from work, after supper and bedtime. WANT is when they really whine. WANT is we want to play!

4. hrs0005

hrs0005 Forums Regular

Sep 11, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    I taught Lexi how to use the bell. I know this sounds like a pain in the butt and I had problems with her ringing to go out and play so this how I got her straightened out. If she rang the bell and proceeded to dilly dally or play around I made her come in as soon as I realized what she was doing. Eventually she got the hint and now anytime she rings the bells its business time. I also gave her a treat every time she rang the bell and went potty, if she played around.. no treat. It took a couple months to get it down especially when she was younger and more playful, but now it works like a charm.. no more abusing the bell!

5. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Great suggestion!

6. myminpins

myminpins Forums Regular

Dec 18, 2008
    Dartmouth, NS
    Isn't this always the way??? The day after I wrote this, Titan "asked" to go out!! LOL

He walks to the gate, stands, and stares at me. If I say "outside?" he cocks his head in that adorable way and that means yes. If I say "outside?" and he ignores me, he's just looking through the gate.

It does mean I have to pay attention to him and I'm hoping to elevate it to a bark eventually but this is definitely better than nothing!!

I also notice he's holding it longer and longer inside. Sometimes I forget now to watch the time (when he's up and about inside) and suddenly I'll realize it's almost two hours and he hasn't been out so out he'll go.

He's also going quicker now, even when he doesn't really "have" to go. I put him out, say, "go pee" and he races down the steps, pees and races back up so proud of himself!! LOL

Gosh, they're so cute, aren't they?

Thanks for the feedback!! I can't believe how big he's getting so fast!! :yes:

7. shelly&sara

shelly&sara Forums Regular

Feb 25, 2009
    farmingville, ny
    after a few days of crate training always using the same door to go outside. mine would just go to the back door and either scratch or look at me like lets go.