Assistance with understanding pedigree information

if you read it the contract says you have up to one year for genetic problems for a refund.

Should a licensed veterinarian diagnose the puppy with a life threatening genetic defect rendering it unsuitable as a pet and having been there from birth, the breeder will replace the puppy, limited to one year from the date of purchase.


Honestly there are no Guarantees in life,you never know what could happen.

If your having this many doubts and second guesses than I would say go with your gut and dont do it. Something within you must be sending up red flags.
 
A 5 day guarantee is what I offer as well, though I also offer lifetime on hips (so long as the puppy is NOT jumped/weaved in agility prior to 1 year), anything covered by cerf, and vwd.
It is hard to put a 5 day limit on genetic issues, as at the puppy's age, your vet is unlikely to find any genetic issue with the puppy at this time, unless it perhaps has a heart murmur. The only way to know if the dog has hip, eye, vwd, or thyroid problems (standard tests for shelties) is to test them. Hips aren't done on a permanent basis until 2 years of age, though can be prelimed earlier. You're generally not going to know, with the exception of vwd, if the puppy has any other issues from such an early date. I don't really know of anyone buying a pet puppy that tests, unless they are agility people, and need to know at around a year old if hips look good prior to jumping/weaving, or if there is a noticeable problem, and then their eyes or thyroid are tested. Hips, eyes, thyroid, and vwd are just pretty standard tests that are done for all breeding stock (well, by good breeders :) ).
It is a well written guarantee, which seems to cover all bases, with the exception of a lengthier guarantee on genetic problems.
Does your breeder test hips, eyes, thyroid, and vwd?
I think it's wonderful that you are taking the time to ask questions up front, and fully understand everything prior to getting your puppy.
 
Last edited:
if you read it the contract says you have up to one year for genetic problems for a refund.

Should a licensed veterinarian diagnose the puppy with a life threatening genetic defect rendering it unsuitable as a pet and having been there from birth, the breeder will replace the puppy, limited to one year from the date of purchase.


Honestly there are no Guarantees in life,you never know what could happen.

If your having this many doubts and second guesses than I would say go with your gut and dont do it. Something within you must be sending up red flags.

:smile2: All of your answers have set me at ease. There really would be no way that I would ever "return" or want a refund for my baby. Mostly I just wanted to be clear on what a vet could find, besides overall health, on a 9 week old within that 5 day period. I do trust my Breeder, I was just looking for independent views since this is the first time I have encountered an agreement. Thank you for your candid response.
 
I know exactly how you are feeling. I searched high and low for a local breeder that had a sheltie puppy available but after talking to the local sheltie club breeders and learning that none would be available until the fall, I went on line and started searching. I did the same as you once I had found a reputable breeder and puchased Deja and was waiting on her.. It seemed like every other day there was another puppy-mill horor story all of the sudden and I was almost convinced that my baby would arrive as some deformed mass..

She wasn't. My pre-screening and concernn paid off with an amazing young Lady that stole my heart the moment she arrived..

Oh, the crate she came in was supposed to be big enough for her as an adult. She's basiclly full grown now and is sleeping in it as I type. Her head is hanging out the door hehe.. I'm going to upsize for shows and such because I think it's a little tight but it was perfect to begin with.
 
One other thing to note here.. As I interact more and more with the local sheltie/dog clubs and get to know some of the breeders, I'm seeing two very distict reactions to my amazing little girl. One group, my friends from ACT and the people that adore her as much as I do, accept Deja as an excellent example of the breed and a joy to be around. The second group typically starts with 'What a beautiful little girl! Who did you get her from? Is she one of <insert local breeder name here>? Oh.. she's one of those... ' and they walk away tripping over their feet because they can't see past their upturned noses..

Because of that I have started answering them with a dissertation of her pedigree.. "Deja comes from Moonshadow and Blackmagic. Her Dam belongs to.." etc.. they tend to now get glossy-eyed and walk away. Sad.
 
One other thing to note here.. As I interact more and more with the local sheltie/dog clubs and get to know some of the breeders, I'm seeing two very distict reactions to my amazing little girl. One group, my friends from ACT and the people that adore her as much as I do, accept Deja as an excellent example of the breed and a joy to be around. The second group typically starts with 'What a beautiful little girl! Who did you get her from? Is she one of <insert local breeder name here>? Oh.. she's one of those... ' and they walk away tripping over their feet because they can't see past their upturned noses..

Because of that I have started answering them with a dissertation of her pedigree.. "Deja comes from Moonshadow and Blackmagic. Her Dam belongs to.." etc.. they tend to now get glossy-eyed and walk away. Sad.

I've had such experiences also. Funny how some people really like your dog until the hear their pedigree and it's not what they hoped.:smile2: Most people are really nice though and very helpful.
 
Back
Top