bath temperature?

PatC

Forums Enthusiast
How do Shelties feel about cold water? My bathrooms are really not well suited for dog bathing, so I finally gave up on trying and send them to the groomer every two or three months. But I would love to give them a between-visits bath in the backyard, using the garden hose. The water is clean, but cold--but we're having a heat wave, and it's about 96 degrees in the sun...is it safe to use the cold water?
 
Yes, I usually fill a wading pool with some water and let it sit in the sun to warm up a little but I am sure they would be fine without doing that first because it is just so hot !! Make sue to dry some before returning them to air conditioning though.
 
Great idea--thank you! One leaped up in the air the minute her feet hit the water, and I eventually wound up chasing a wet, soapy Sheltie around the yard, but clearly they are none the worse for wear, and a little bit cleaner. The hose noise seemed more troubling to them than the water temperature.
 
I have a question regarding baths, how often should you bathe, I have not given Laddie one yet, and, is it ok to do it in the winter, it is so cold here, I am afraid he will get sick.
 
I think the garden hose is fine, if you can get them to stay:)..

Shelby loves playing in the hose and sprinkler but heaven forbid you would try to give her a bath with the hose. I am sure it would be quite a show for the neighbors. It has been so hot here we haven't been able to walk or even be outside. So DH was playing with her and the hose for a few minutes. Then she came in all wet and laid on the AC:lol:
 
I have a question regarding baths, how often should you bathe, I have not given Laddie one yet, and, is it ok to do it in the winter, it is so cold here, I am afraid he will get sick.

I prefer not to give my dogs a bath in the winter. But when I do, I give them a nice worm bath (not TOO hot) then let them dry in the bathroom or the warmest part of the house. Try not to let them outside, exept for a quick potty break (which all my dogs need after baths), for about an hour or two.
 
I have a question regarding baths, how often should you bathe, I have not given Laddie one yet, and, is it ok to do it in the winter, it is so cold here, I am afraid he will get sick.
if you search, there's a thread about how often people bathe their shelties. To be honest, I do it whenever I feel like the dog needs it not based on cold or hot outside. My girl probably gets 2-4 baths a year. My pup, well he gets them often. right now I think he's gotten about 6 or so of them and we've only had him since March.
 
Back
Top