Beginner Agility Books/DVDs?

Ania

Forums Enthusiast
I was just looking at the websites that were mentioned here on the forum with regards to agility. There are a lot of books and DVDs out there. Does anyone recommend a good one to start with? I ordered "crate games" just incase I can get into a seminar that is coming here to Winnipeg (The Lynda Orton Hill seminar - which is currently sold out, but I am on a waiting list and a prerequisite for the foundation session is level 3 of crate games) Oh, and I clicker train, so if there is any books for beginners that have never done agility, that train with the clicker it would be great! Thanks everyone.
 
I can second the Developing Jumping Skills book. My agility club uses Linda Mecklenburg's method to teach jumping.
 
So does each club use different methods of teaching? Should I then just wait until I get into a club before investing in a book? or is there a beginner book/DVD that is universal? Or will the 'crate games' DVD be enough to start with? It's just that she is 9.5 months old now, and I am not sure when we will be able to get into a club to start to learn, and I don't want her to be behind.
 
There are many different techniques for teaching the agility skills and no one method is really better than the other. It all boils down to whatever is best for the dog.

While my club teaches the Mecklinburg method, a friend of mine's dog actually needs more confidence in jumping before moving into the handling skills built into Linda's system. Because of this, one of our instructors suggested a set of books that use a different methodology allowing the dog to figure out how best to use their body to jump. (Sorry, I don't remember the titles of the books.)

As for things to start with so your pup doesn't get too far behind...
Take a standard ladder and lay it on the ground. Walk your pup through the ladder rungs rewarding (click/treat) when she doesn't touch the rungs. (Start a few rungs at a time.) This will teach her that she has back legs and where they are in relation to the body. This helps with jumps and contact obstacles like the dog walk.

Purchase a child's play tunnel and encourage her to run through it.

Teach targeting using the lid of a margarine container or something similar in size. Put a treat on the lid and when your pup touches it with her nose (takes the treat) click and give another treat. Do this a few time to "prime" the target. Next sit and watch her. Every time she touches the target with her nose, click and treat. As she starts to realize touching the target is the desired action, put a word to it - target, spot, touch, or something similar. This will eventually become your command at the end of a contact for a 2 on 2 off (two paws on floor/two paws on contact) finish.
 
I'd start with the flatwork books, and Linda Mecklenburg's jumping book. Flatwork is stuff you can even work on at home. It is what you will be doing between the obstacles. You can start teaching things like lead out pushes, front crosses, rear crosses, lateral distance, and sending the dog ahead of you now.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top