Being measured

Lovely

Forums Enthusiast
This probably could be a general sport topic, as agility dogs are measured as well.

Is there any sequence you have found works for getting a dog to relax while being measured?

I just measured Duncan at home, so he was relaxed. I was looking for the very highest part of his shoulder, just at the base of the neck. He measured 12 and 3/4 inches. So he would set a jump height at 7", which is perfect for his stature. However, at a recent flyball comp, he would not stay still, was high on his toes and we pulled him from measuring because they said without a measurement, he would set it at 14". He doesn't even jump that in agility! I would like to be able to use him as a height dog, but that won't happen if he won't let anyone but me measure him.

Ideas?
 
At 18.5 Sca was just not going to be the height dog :lol: Also the judge made sure he was standing up well. I just put a cookie just out of nose reach (probably added a 1/4").

He is actually taller than 2 of 3 BCs on the team.
 
I wonder if you could train it the way conformation handlers train a dog to stack...using shaping and a clicker.

I don't have any experience with that, but that was my first thought. That way you could put it on command and make Duncan feel confident.
 
Hmm... I don't think that solves the problem of people touching him while he's all riled up for flyball. They measure right next to the ring. Perhaps just have someone putting something (like a ruler) on his shoulders while I treat him until he understands that nothing bad will happen?
 
What I do is sit on the floor in front of them and hold a treat right on their nose so they have to work on getting the treat. Also helps if you have a practice just before you go to be measured - get someone from the team to touch his back a few times while you sit in front of him with a treat. That way he gets a bit of an idea of what his going to happen before he gets to the measuring area.

By the time my dogs were being measured for their height cards I had moved from sitting directly in front to sitting at the side (still with the trreat). That way I could make sure their hocks were really straight so they measured on the lower side.

I hate that rule about jumping at 14" if a dog cannot be measured. It works against smaller dogs. They only allowed for dogs without a height card not to be measured this year so now most of the new dogs don't even bother getting measured until they have been racing for a while and even then with the judges they know.
 
Yes, the racing hasn't started when the measuring takes place, but it is right next to the ring. So Duncan is hyped for that, plus all of the dogs around barking their heads off add to the excitement.

Caro, good points about positioning and treats. I will try it! Luckily for me, we had another height dog on the team, so we used his 7" jump height. It's a little weird here. Once you measure a certain number, it is hard to get the judges (basically the same 2-3 at every competition) to consider a lower height. So I pulled him to erase any number the judge had out of his head.

Wait, they let height dogs run without having been measured? That would be nice...
 
Back
Top