Best dancing dog ever.

Wow, what a routine. I can't imagine how many hours the two of them have had to spend working on that. She does look almost human on those hind legs.

It kind of reminded me of that two legged dog that was touring the country. I wish I could think of her name......:rolleyes2:
 
I don't want to offend anyone, or be contraversial, but I have seen this video elsewhere on the web and found it quite upsetting. I do love doggy dancing but this is a bit too extreme. Dogs are not designed to walk on their hindlegs for extended periods, their pelvis has a different structure to ours. Small dogs like poms and some shelties and collies I know stand unaided on their hindlegs for short periods. My Yogi will walk backwards like this for a boiled egg (we call it the egg dance) so I don't have an issue with this as such, however a big heavy dog like a Golden Retriever spending a prolonged amount of time up on its hindlegs (3 mins + is the duration of the video) plus all the additional training hours needed to get to this stage will surely put a great deal of strain on the lumbar and pelvic region. I worry the dog is going to suffer from joint and muscular problems when it gets older as a result of this. I have seen at obedience shows older collies who can barely stand normally due to the exaggerated posture they have had to assume in competition, and swore I would not risk crippling my dog just to win:(.
Ballerinas often suffer terrible joint problems in later years through assuming unnatural positions.
I am also concerned that while this dog has probably undergone tests and strength building excersises, others will try and copy perhaps with dogs who have poor hips etc and injure the dogs. As I've said, Yogi can and does stand and walk on his hindlegs and for him I would have no problem putting this move (briefly!) into a dancing routine. Revel cannot do it, he is longer in the back and a heavier build, I would never try and make him assume this position.
I was also very interested in the comments about the hips. Revel's hips were done when he was 10 and he had a score of 12, which for a dog who has led a pretty active life involving jumping, that's pretty good. I have not had Yogi's done but the indications are that they are not as good.

I'm really sorry about this bit of rant:uhoh: but these are just my thoughts on this.
 
Julia

Rantings allowed here! You might get everyone to agree with your rant however, so be prepared for getting responses that you might not expect.

I tend to lean towards your point of view. While I thought the video was amazing, a part of me was wondering how the dog could sustain this without injury. Definitely not a natural position for the dog to be in for long periods.
 
People aren't necessary supposed to run for hours and hours on end like they do in marathons but they train for it and it isn't detrimental for their health. This dog is amazing and enjoying every second of it.
 
That video was emailed to me, and it is something else. The other videos on that page are good too of some of the other dogs, the golden was the best.
 
I don't want to offend anyone, or be contraversial, but I have seen this video elsewhere on the web and found it quite upsetting. I do love doggy dancing but this is a bit too extreme. Dogs are not designed to walk on their hindlegs for extended periods, their pelvis has a different structure to ours. Small dogs like poms and some shelties and collies I know stand unaided on their hindlegs for short periods. My Yogi will walk backwards like this for a boiled egg (we call it the egg dance) so I don't have an issue with this as such, however a big heavy dog like a Golden Retriever spending a prolonged amount of time up on its hindlegs (3 mins + is the duration of the video) plus all the additional training hours needed to get to this stage will surely put a great deal of strain on the lumbar and pelvic region. I worry the dog is going to suffer from joint and muscular problems when it gets older as a result of this. I have seen at obedience shows older collies who can barely stand normally due to the exaggerated posture they have had to assume in competition, and swore I would not risk crippling my dog just to win:(.
Ballerinas often suffer terrible joint problems in later years through assuming unnatural positions.
I am also concerned that while this dog has probably undergone tests and strength building excersises, others will try and copy perhaps with dogs who have poor hips etc and injure the dogs. As I've said, Yogi can and does stand and walk on his hindlegs and for him I would have no problem putting this move (briefly!) into a dancing routine. Revel cannot do it, he is longer in the back and a heavier build, I would never try and make him assume this position.
I was also very interested in the comments about the hips. Revel's hips were done when he was 10 and he had a score of 12, which for a dog who has led a pretty active life involving jumping, that's pretty good. I have not had Yogi's done but the indications are that they are not as good.

I'm really sorry about this bit of rant:uhoh: but these are just my thoughts on this.

Rant away. I have to wondered too about the long term wear and tear. Especially the lumbar region and sacral lumbal junction. Like I said big dogs just don't do this.

My dogs had done these type of movements for strength training and it is very demanding on them. Short sessions 3-5 reps and I aid balance as needed. My Lab would do it all on her own. She was weird.:rolleyes2:

You are right some people might see this and try it with dogs that shouldn't do it.:(
 
Back
Top