Best Quality Treats

Wagonracer

Forums Regular
I am getting ready to bring home a puppy this week and am wondering what a good "healthy" store-bought treat might be??? It seems most training is based on giving a treat after completing a task... Thanks...
 
The best thing to do is read the label and see what is in the treats. Stay away from "by-products", "wheat gluten" and "corn" especially. (I know there are others but I can't think of them right now.)

Currently, I'm using Zuke's Minatures for training treats. They are all natural and Edan loves them. We've used the peanut butter (not impacted by the peanut butter recall), chicken, and salmon flavors.

Another really good treat is Natural Choice Crunch Treats. These are WONDERFUL. We have the carrot and apple varieties. When you open the bag of apple ones, it smells JUST LIKE apples.

For high value rewards, the string cheese snacks cut into small pieces or hot dogs are great.
 
Last edited:
Sure! I was using carrots as treats for a little while with Edan; until he turned his nose up at them. I've also used dehydrated apples (cut into small pieces) and crasins (the dried cranberry treats). DO NOT use raisins or grapes, they are toxic.

Though it is good to switch things up a bit once you start training. Even dogs can get tired of the "same 'ol thing".
 
Yeah, if your dog will eat carrots those are fine. If you end up needing a training treat, I'd second the Zuke's. They're the perfect size
 
Dried chicken strips (kinda like chicken jerky) are good if you need your dog to pay attention to you for a while. Also, we found some really good dog treats called "Nathan's hot dogs" that I cut up into really thin slices and used for a quick treat. Whenever we used the "Nathan Hot Dog" treats, they made me and my husband start drooling, they smelled so much like the people version of Nathan's Hot Dogs. Pleasssse send us pictures of your new puppy when you get him.
 
Zukes are great. My dogs love them. We use the Chicken flavour. So are carrots!

I used to cut the Zuke's into smaller cubes while training. I cut the carrott's a little larger but still about the half a dime size.
 
Old Mother Hubbard. They are small and great for a puppy, or adult. Choice between chicken and peanut butter. Of course I am bias and they are made by Wellness. Petsmart sells the treats, not the food.
 
Back
Top