Bike Attachment advice

The attachment looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure how I feel about the leash being so far away from reachable on the bike. If my dog lunged towards traffic while I was on the bike I'd have no way to stop it other than wiping out....or am I missing something on that springer attachment?

I bought it and it works great. I also attach a leash to Maia, 'just in case' she does lunge after a cat or something.

She is also a car/bike/rollerblade chaser, but while on the springer attachment, she does not chase or lunge after them at all. She does lunge after cats and squirrels however, hence the extra leash. That way, if she does break loose of the springer, I will still have her on leash. I am glad I bought it and the trailer for Chinook, and her when she gets tired.

Here is a link to the springer attachment:

http://www.dog-training.com/springer.htm
 
I just bought a cruiser bike this week, so that I can take Phebe out for roadwork conditioning. We've only taken a couple of very short trips so far and I made do with holding the leash, but I can see that's not really a good idea and we were probably somewhat lucky that we managed to remain crash-free.

I'm still considering the options -- Springer, Walky Dog or Running Dog Bike Tow. I'm laughing to myself because all of these cost more than the $50 I paid for the bike.
 
id love to know how do you not run over your dog??? Maybe its just mine that some times arent the brightest...but all I can envision is running them over...:eek2:
 
As long as I'm talking to her, Phebe does a pretty good job of running alongside on a loose leash. Before I make any change in direction, I tell her "watch". She caught on pretty quick that watching the front wheel of the bike will tell her which direction to turn. It probably came easily to her because she's used to cueing off me for agility and obedience. I still think one of the attachments is the best idea, and of course, I'm leaning toward the most expensive option. :rolleyes2:
 
My orthopedic surgeon said there are lots of people breaking bones because they were riding their bikes and holding their dog's leash when the dog decided to take off after something resulting in a big crash. I didn't need a dog to crash my bike though. Be careful.
 
My orthopedic surgeon said there are lots of people breaking bones because they were riding their bikes and holding their dog's leash when the dog decided to take off after something resulting in a big crash. I didn't need a dog to crash my bike though. Be careful.

I think thats why the bike attachment is a better option as your hands are free and the dog is attached to the frame of the bike making it more stable...and as someone who has worked for 10 ortho surgeons I can say rollerblades are bigger culprits than bikes :wink2: although our biggest injury maker we here is the cold weather..it takes out more people than anything:lol:
 
Sorry, it just seems wrong somehow to carry our Shelties in a bike hamper attachment.

Uuum! Aren't our Shelties supposed to love to run and exercise? I would think you'd be looking for a safety harness that could be used with bicycles instead??????


Can't help myself here for speaking out.....but we don't really want to turn this breed into toy dogs do we?
 
Sorry, it just seems wrong somehow to carry our Shelties in a bike hamper attachment.

Uuum! Aren't our Shelties supposed to love to run and exercise? I would think you'd be looking for a safety harness that could be used with bicycles instead??????


Can't help myself here for speaking out.....but we don't really want to turn this breed into toy dogs do we?

Maybe I've missed something, but all the bike accessories I've asked about and others have talked about in this thread are all designed to attach to either the dog's collar or a harness so that they can trot beside the bike.
 
Maybe I've missed something, but all the bike accessories I've asked about and others have talked about in this thread are all designed to attach to either the dog's collar or a harness so that they can trot beside the bike.

Agreed, except for the mention of a trailer incase they get tired. The springer device sounds pretty cool actually.
 
I just ordered springer device, thank you for posting! Che might be allowed controlled running next week every other day so we going to try. Che does run decently on the leash with bike. OTOH Leo is FC and RC every wheel he meets:eek2:
 
Back
Top