Biting/Itchy Skin?

I've used it on bedding before. You can use it on carpet, bedding, etc., The only concern is if your dog can inhale it. It's is dangerous for you or your dogs to inhale it.
 
I've used it on bedding before. You can use it on carpet, bedding, etc., The only concern is if your dog can inhale it. It's is dangerous for you or your dogs to inhale it.

Thanks. If I use it on the sheep thingy I have, I'll just do it outside. My poor baby. He's got more fleas. I just put the Advantix on him and I think I'll go to the store and get some Capstar. Help relieve him. I was wondering why his skin was so red and splotchy.
 
Randi, the trick is to get it food-grade, it should be safe then. Or that's what I've read.

Yes, it definitely has to be food-grade DE. Any other kind should not be used to treat bugs in your home, but even the food-grade DE should not be directly inhaled. Even though it feels like a powder to us, the fine grains can irritate your nasal cavities.

All types of diatomaceous earth are, to varying degrees, unsafe for human inhalation. Natural and food-grade DE can cause irritation of the mucous membranes of the nose and mouth; therefore, a respiratory mask should be worn when administering.
http://www.ehow.com/about_6682801_diatomaceous-earth-safe-inhale_.html

I've administered it without a mask and didn't have any issues, but if was something I did all the time, I would use a mask. I just wouldn't cover a dog bed in DE and then let your dog lay on it and possibly inhale it. Apply DE and put the bed in some other place for a few days, remove the DE and return it to your dog. When I rubbed DE on my dog's fur, I used a damp towel to cover her eyes and face.
 
Yes, it definitely has to be food-grade DE. Any other kind should not be used to treat bugs in your home, but even the food-grade DE should not be directly inhaled. Even though it feels like a powder to us, the fine grains can irritate your nasal cavities.


http://www.ehow.com/about_6682801_diatomaceous-earth-safe-inhale_.html

I've administered it without a mask and didn't have any issues, but if was something I did all the time, I would use a mask. I just wouldn't cover a dog bed in DE and then let your dog lay on it and possibly inhale it. Apply DE and put the bed in some other place for a few days, remove the DE and return it to your dog. When I rubbed DE on my dog's fur, I used a damp towel to cover her eyes and face.

Good to know. Thanks. I have two beds I'm going to wash. Ugh! I threw out Koji's other bed. It was a cheapy so I don't care.
 
I am not familiar with DE (in fact, had never heard the term until this thread), however, I understand from a Google search that it is not soluble even in acids (except hydrofluoric acid). As such, I would handle it judiciously if you choose not to wear a mask, and I would have serious concerns about the exposure to my pets. Admittedly, the exposure levels (in terms of quantity) will not be great, but insoluble solids aspirated into the lungs can pose a problem. The problem with insoluble materials in the lungs is that it quite often takes years before their effects are known.
 
OMG. Am I such a bad dog mom. As I was doing a body search for fleas, I noticed parts of his skin had what looked like yellow scars. It's probably where he was gnawing at himself.

So far, 8 fleas and counting. He's gotten Advantix and Capstar. I'm not going to wash anything until tomorrow (or later tonight), I just want Koji to be comfortable and stop biting at himself.

Since I had acupuncture, I asked the doc if it's okay to give Miko his Advantage. She said it's probably safer than him getting infested with fleas. Weirdly, Miko rarely gets fleas. Fingers crossed it stays like that.

Gawd I feel so bad.
 
I think the fleas must be less now. He's not biting himself as much and seems able to sleep longer. Poor thing. Tomorrow will be filled with laundry, vacuuming, and spreading DE around. Sigh.
 
I'm concerned

Lately, when I take Koji out to potty, he walks very slow. Usually he's in front of me, not pulling, but trotting along. Now he's been walking a bit behind me to the point where I tug on the leash sometimes.

Do you think this is flea related? Thoughts?
He doesn't seem in pain, but well, they're Shelties, you just never know (no limping).
 
Back
Top