Bloody diarrhea then throwing up

We are back from the vet.

He did the Giardia test on poor Dandie :eek2: He stuck what? Where? :lol: Poor baby. It came out negative.

He took the stool sample and will check it for parasites.

She is vaccinated for Parvo, so he doubts that it is Parvo.

At the moment he diagnosed her as having a bacterial infection somewhere in her GI tract. He gave me Metronidazole and DAS/lomotil to give her. I am to call him tomorrow with an update.

I also have to give her a bland diet of chicken and rice for right now.

Thanks for the support, guys!
 
Last edited:
I'm glad she doesn't have Giardia and I hope her test comes back negative for parasites as well.

I'm sure with flagyl and a bland diet, she will be better in no time!
 
hmm, the way I understand giardia is mostly problem for young puppies, dogs after year old usually have enough immunity to deal with it no problems...
 
awww I just saw the thread now...Glad to read the vet doesnt think its anything serious more than a virus. Hope Dandi is on the mend quickly!!!
 
Glad you got her on the meds. I'm betting she'll recover fast. She just wanted to get some extra pats and treats! :wink2:

Hope tonight is better for you than last night...get some rest. Dandie too! :sleepy:
 
Well I am just catching up on this now,and so sorry that Dandi hasnot been well.Gosh,such a scare.I hope everything gets better soon,and I hope you can catch up on some much needed rest as well.

Sending positive thoughts~
 
I didn't see this earlier. I am so happy the vet doesn't feel it is serious and she sure looks fine playing. They are both gorgeous. Let us know how her tests turn out and keep us updated. Hope you get a good night sleep tonight.:sleepy:
 
hmm, the way I understand giardia is mostly problem for young puppies, dogs after year old usually have enough immunity to deal with it no problems...

Nope.

Giardia is something that they get from drinking contaminated water, food, or fecal matter. All dogs at any age can get it :wink2: Maybe you are confusing it with coccidiosis (coccidia)?

But she doesn't have that, so we don't have to worry about that, thank goondess.
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your well wishes for Dandie. She is doing much better this evening. She ate her chicken and rice for dinner and so far has held it down. I am looking foward to a mommy drink and a long nights rest :-)
 
Back
Top