Blowing coat?!?

Michele,

I only know this because of Connie and Ann. I went up to watch Connie prep and show Annie here in Nov. The chalk is used on the white to make it whiter from what I can tell. They kind of "pounce" it in with a brush.

Like with McKinley, he has very faint freckles on his nose, but if I understand correctly they would white those out. That is why the pictures of the show dog are so beautiful, they are glamour shots where hours have been spent on them.

Strider: You are a hoot. You really had me worried when you said you shaved your pup and I am thinking Alaska...........DANG that is going to be cold! (ohh and personally, I think UGLY!:eek2::no::razz:)
 
Miss Phebe
You mentioned powder,what is it you use? Is it a bit of baby power for the fine hairs around the ears?

Also since I'm asking about a powder,what exactly is chalk used for? The gentleman that I ordered detachol,(back when I thought I was going to attempt gluing ears) also sells chalk.
Yes, it's just baby powder and I use it around her ears and in her white ruff. Sometimes she gets a whole body treatment -- I like the smell better than any of the perfumey stuff they use at the grooming salon. Also, I spritz her with a Mane and Tail herbal spray when I'm brushing.
 
You guys are so demented! :biggrin2:

Yesterday I clipped 16 Sheltie feet, trimmed feet and ears, and pin brushed three of the four. Beckon gets brushed today -- he's easy, being a puppy. I am so glad I love grooming! :rolleyes2:
 
You guys are so demented! :biggrin2:

Yesterday I clipped 16 Sheltie feet, trimmed feet and ears, and pin brushed three of the four. Beckon gets brushed today -- he's easy, being a puppy. I am so glad I love grooming! :rolleyes2:

One of my concerns when I was considering getting a sheltie was the grooming. I had always had short hair longs and wasn't sure about the long hair. Well turns out that is one of my favorite parts. I love grooming. It such a bonding experience and so relaxing. Plus the plush coat is so nice to touch.:smile2:
 
One of my concerns when I was considering getting a sheltie was the grooming. I had always had short hair longs and wasn't sure about the long hair. Well turns out that is one of my favorite parts. I love grooming. It such a bonding experience and so relaxing. Plus the plush coat is so nice to touch.:smile2:

i have to agree here.. i LOVE brushing Deja. It's very relaxing and she gleems when we are done.
 
Yes, it's just baby powder and I use it around her ears and in her white ruff. Sometimes she gets a whole body treatment -- I like the smell better than any of the perfumey stuff they use at the grooming salon. Also, I spritz her with a Mane and Tail herbal spray when I'm brushing.

So the powder is good for the coat? I guess after googling "chalk for shelties" I came away from reading that,it is used alot in show dogs,for volume to the coat,and to really make them look huge in coat.so it does'nt really have any use other than in show dogs?

I like to have our two smelling clean & fresh also,so I was just wondering.I had read some time ago,the tip of using baby powder around the ears,as many have the fine hair that seems to get matted,or not fluffy,and difficult to comb out.

Very cool tip,thank you!
 
Michele,

I only know this because of Connie and Ann. I went up to watch Connie prep and show Annie here in Nov. The chalk is used on the white to make it whiter from what I can tell. They kind of "pounce" it in with a brush.

Like with McKinley, he has very faint freckles on his nose, but if I understand correctly they would white those out. That is why the pictures of the show dog are so beautiful, they are glamour shots where hours have been spent on them.

Strider: You are a hoot. You really had me worried when you said you shaved your pup and I am thinking Alaska...........DANG that is going to be cold! (ohh and personally, I think UGLY!:eek2::no::razz:)

Thank you,I gathered it was used alot in show shelties.The pictures of those beautiflu dogs always amaze me.Such work & care,the countless hours.
 
As I understand it, the chalk is also used to help fluff up the coat! That's why show shelties always have such gorgeous ruffs!

I'm not sure you want to use it regularly though, as I expect you would get build up, not to mention chalk tracking all around your house.

When I first starting grooming Bacca, it would wriggle and toss around. I used to sit on the floor, with one leg holding down the part of the body I wasn't working on now. Now when I bring out the brushes, both boys just lay down flat and chill out! I love that part. Like others, I find it very relaxing.

They only get antsy when I take a peek under the tail to see what surprises are waiting for me!

At that point, Indy develops a tail of steel, and clamps it down tight against his rump...who'd have thought they would have so much strenght in their tails! :lol:
 
You know.. electric barber's trimmers set to '1'. Zoom zoom.. naked Sheltie.. no shedding. It's great and convienent and she passes for a Chinese Crested at the dog shows :)


before shave:
http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/Striderak/pups_snow/?action=view&current=DSC00020.jpg


After Shaved:
http://www.dogsindepth.com/toy_dog_breeds/images/chinese_crested_hairless.jpg

*rofl.. just kidding..*

We actually used to shave my sheltie angle Brandie in the summer. I wasn't big into researching back then and thought that she would feel a lot cooler without all that fur. The groomer said she had the thickest coat she's ever seen on a sheltie. Little did I know that their coat actually keeps them cool in the summer. She looked really funny shaved. I'll see if I can scan a photo tonight.
 
Back
Top