Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Blue eye and brown eye

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Daleford, Jan 22, 2021.

1. Daleford

Daleford Forums Regular

Jan 29, 2009
    Thanks for the info. His dad was a blue merle but he is looking like a sable.

Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Saw your photo of him in your other post - he is a sable merle, like my Meadow. She has a small speck of blue in one of her eyes, which disqualified her as a show dog. (In Shelties, brown dogs must have completely brown eyes, blue is OK in blue merles or bi-blues only.) Barkley's mom must have been a sable.

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Interesting...
    You learn something new everyday!

Sandy in CT and RikyR like this.
  4. Daleford

Daleford Forums Regular

Jan 29, 2009
    Yes, his mom was a beautiful sable and his dad was a merle. I hope he looks like his mom.

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    Sable merles can be very hard to tell that they are merles. I actually got my sable merle because I was sure that you would be able to tell that he was a merle when he was grown up. and you definitely can.....:winkgrin:

6. Daleford

Daleford Forums Regular

Jan 29, 2009
    I like your first line. I hope you cannot see any merle when he colors out. I will be posting some pics of his colors at 8 weeks when I get this photos hosting thing worked out.

7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    it is what is challenging if a breeder doesn't realize that a dog that they are using for stud or as a dam is a sable merle and they breed with a blue merle or a biblue- then you have the chance of double merle puppies and that is where health issues occur.

8. Elei

Elei Forums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2019
    I know a beautiful sable Merle (besides the beautiful ones on this forum). I think your pup will be beautiful no matter what