Bones??

Back to cutting the bone...what if let say the chicken neck or the chicken back is too large should I not cut it? In fear it might splinter?
 
Cutting it won't cause it to splinter any more or less. But cutting a bone down to size you are bringing in two new issues. 1) Artificially cut edges are sharper than they would be if the dog chewed them himself. 2) You risk the piece of RMB being TOO small and posing a risk for the dog to try to swallow it whole without chewing properly. If something is too big, then just give it to the dog and take it away once they have eaten a meal's worth.
 
Cutting it won't cause it to splinter any more or less. But cutting a bone down to size you are bringing in two new issues. 1) Artificially cut edges are sharper than they would be if the dog chewed them himself. 2) You risk the piece of RMB being TOO small and posing a risk for the dog to try to swallow it whole without chewing properly. If something is too big, then just give it to the dog and take it away once they have eaten a meal's worth.

Thanks for the great info..You should teach RAW for Dummies!:biggrin2:
 
Geerome, I have been giving Jake chicken wings since 10 weeks old and he still chews them properly so he shouldnt be at too much risk should he?

My Inuit, who is 37kg still has chicken wings too and hasnt had any problems, although before I knew better I bought one of the roasted knuckle bones from the pet shop.... he ate the whole thing silly dog, was hopping and yelping around the garden the next day trying to get it out the other end :no:

I did read somewhere that if you start them early they do tend to learn to chew them even as they get older and are less likely to try and swallow them more so than when you start when they are older.
 
Raw feeding is very much a "know thy dog" situation. Some dogs are meticulous chewers, others think chewing is for losers. I have one of each. Romeo would chew wings well, Gio would just gulp it down in one go. If you have a careful chewer that has always done well with wings, then I wouldn't worry about it. If I were giving suggestions for someone just starting out, I wouldn't recommend wings because of the possible risk of gulping. But if your dog does well with it, then go hard. It is a situation where you need to be aware of the potential risks and make educated decisions using your best common sense.
 
Back
Top