Brushing teeth

No chicken bones?

I was under the impression that chicken bones, either cooked or raw, weren't good for dogs. Because, as someone else said, they can splinter and bits can get caught in the intestines. But beef bones are okay, because they are so big and solid.
 
actually chicken bones are better than big beef bones them can break a dogs molars. Belle eats chicken legs and wings all the time with no problems.
 
Raw bones are great for dogs, especially chicken, duck etc as they can crunch them up and eat them. They will not splinter. COOKED bones are a no no. They will splinter as the heat denatures the protein and the minerals harden. The first time I fed Chinook a raw chicken wing, he swallowed the whole thing whole after only a few chews! I thought I was going to die. He was only 11 weeks old - he thought I was going to take it away from him. But, he was fine, he digested everything, no problems. (After that I held it for him until he knew not to swallow the entire thing all at once!)
 
hehe Ania,, thats scary stuff your talking about.. I guess when i get some,, i will try the same thing,, just holding it for them..
 
Hi I remember trying the chicken flavor tootpaste w/my dog didn't really work out so I gave her these bones called Greenies you can get them at Petco. Not sure what they are made of some type of plant but she loved 'em and the top of the bone is shaped like a toothbrush! It helped her teeth. Only problem is they are quite expensive... :(
 
Ok, I'm going to sound like a real idiot here but I have to ask. :o My dog Buzz has some tartar build-up on his teeth and the vet has recommended having his teeth done (to the tune of about $250.00) but I'd just like to know if starting to feed him raw chicken neck bones would improve his teeth? Or would I have to have his teeth done by the vet and THEN start him on raw bones to keep his teeth from getting tartar again?

Of course I'd love to skip the $250 vet bill if there's a way I can improve his teeth another way. :yes:
 
My vet recommended raw bones as well....but he was explicit on bones that are non weight bearing bones (like the ribs) since they do not splinter. I do boil or braise mine for several hours first since they last longer and my dogs love them. Since I started giving them these their teeth are so much better and no more "icky sheltie bad breath". My dogs are pretty good though about teeth brushing. I can really get back far and really give their teeth a very thorough brushing. Since I have so many dogs though it was an all day chore for me, so I tried the raw and boiled bones and I stopped brushing and they have very nice toofers now
 
There are products out there, that dissolve the tartar. You add the liquid into their drinking water. I've never used it, but have talked to people that have used some products like that and they said it worked for them. You might want to do some research on the net and find out. There was a liquid that my vet recommended too, but I just cannot remember the name. It was all natural, mainly enzymes. I will post it if I remember it.
 
Ok, I'm going to sound like a real idiot here but I have to ask. :o My dog Buzz has some tartar build-up on his teeth and the vet has recommended having his teeth done (to the tune of about $250.00) but I'd just like to know if starting to feed him raw chicken neck bones would improve his teeth? Or would I have to have his teeth done by the vet and THEN start him on raw bones to keep his teeth from getting tartar again?

Of course I'd love to skip the $250 vet bill if there's a way I can improve his teeth another way. :yes:

I just give my dogs the raw bone before any vet cleaning. after that the vet said they didnt need their teeth cleaned anymore so yay for saving lots of money!!! :biggrin2:
I would suggest though chicken legs or wings to help clean his teeth. they seem to work better at scraping off the tartar.
 
Back
Top