Cali does not want to eat again.. ugh.. food woes.

Tully will usually skip breakfast if its kibble, but she never turns moist food. She is only a small dog so probably doesnt need breakfast - I just give it to them so they wont eat scats on our walks.
 
My breeder has commented many times on the pickiness of Bacca's siblings when they were between 8 months and 2 years. I don't know if they are picky still, but it appears to be a phase with some pups.
 
I was also told recently that both Wellness and Eagle Pack were acquired by new companies and their formulas have changed. If she started rejecting the food when you started the new bag, that could be the reason.

The other thing you have to be careful of with a new bag of food and rejection is that it isn't the food that's bad. That's how the problems which initiated the great food recall of several years ago started. Don't automatically assume it's your dog that's wrong.

You can try calling the company to see if they've changed the formula, but sometime that gets you little information. I would start with the store you bought the food from; they usually know if there's been a formula or ownership change.

If all else fails, I'd switch foods, although I know that's not what you want to hear.

Years ago I bought a bag of Innova cat food . Neither one of my cats would eat it and Stretch the older one would eat anything that didn't eat her. Tanner was not know to be picky either. I watched them walk over to the food sniff it and walk away. Um. Same thing that night. Next day I took the bag back. Told them there was something wrong with it. It looked good and smell fine to me. They gave me a new bag and when I put the food out they ate like they hadn't eaten in a week. Had this happen to a client several years later. Bad bag of food. Rancid of something. Her dog was eating but barely.

One thing I learned from the pet food recalls is even if you do put your food in another container, you should keep the bag until the food is used up. Otherwise if there's a problem, you have no way to identify the batch to the company. This was an issue during the pet food recalls when people called the companies to complain about the food.

I put my food in plastic containers too, but I always keep the empty bag till it's gone. You just never know.

Note on plastic containers. Plastic is a porous material. It collects oils and fats from the food and those items can become rancid overtime and contaminates the new food as it enters the bin. Thus making it more prone to spoilage, molding and bacterial growth. Also the food in direct contact with the walls are more prone to oxidation and distruction of the fat soluble vitamins(A,E,K,D) especially if you have a big bag. Better opinion is to leave the food in the bag and place it in the bin. The orginal bag is designed to help protect the food from light and oxygen and slow bacterial growth. Added protection can be had by rolling down the bag or closing it. If you don't want to keep the food in the orginal bag, a metal or glass bin is a better choice.

The ideal storage container protects from light, air and moisture and is easily and thoughly cleanable. Opened bags of food should be sized so they are used within 6 wks time.
 
I do what Dr. Shelli suggested. I have had a small round garbage can with a lid for years. Set the bag of food in it and put on the lid.

But I have had my dogs turn their noses up at new bags of food. I've often wondered if there was something wrong with the bag of food. I just get rid of it and get another one.
 
Note on plastic containers. Plastic is a porous material. It collects oils and fats from the food and those items can become rancid overtime and contaminates the new food as it enters the bin. Thus making it more prone to spoilage, molding and bacterial growth. Also the food in direct contact with the walls are more prone to oxidation and distruction of the fat soluble vitamins(A,E,K,D) especially if you have a big bag. Better opinion is to leave the food in the bag and place it in the bin. The orginal bag is designed to help protect the food from light and oxygen and slow bacterial growth. Added protection can be had by rolling down the bag or closing it. If you don't want to keep the food in the orginal bag, a metal or glass bin is a better choice.

.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip! Will migrate from my rubbermaid container once the move has settled.
 
I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip! Will migrate from my rubbermaid container once the move has settled.


I didn't know that either, I keep Megan's dry food AND canned food in sealed plastic containers :cool:

So is glass a great option for both canned and dry food storage?
 
Back
Top