Cali does not want to eat again.. ugh.. food woes.

hadn't heard about Wellness changing hands :(
Happy and Callie have done well on it for several years and I'd hate to have to change :no:
 
Ginny and Sadie have been doing really well on it too, especially Sadie, who had some serious digestive issues for a long time. My two don't seem to have noticed a difference, although Ginny has had loose stools and vomiting on and off. I'm pretty sure its due to the training treats I'd been giving her. I'll be sure to post it if it continues.
 
she actually started eating again like normal yesterday evening. I dunno what her deal was but she still kinda seems skittish about it. She eats in her crate (with the door closed but not locked so she can come out when she is done) and she will look at it and then at me a few times before she starts eating. Usually she just inhales it. I am probably close to halfway through the bag so its not like its a new thing. She is on the Core formula.. I will definitely have to stop by the pet store and see if they know anything about this and check out one of the bags. I put Cali's food in sealed plastic containers so I don't have the current back to look at. I guess I will give it a few more days and see if things go back to normal though. She ate breakfast and dinner without issue aside from the confused looks. I will try doing it tomorrow morning without water and see if it makes a difference. I used to mix Wellness wet with the kibble so that every week or so the flavors would change for her, but she completely went off of that so we went to regular kibble and she has been fine like I said for the last year. Thanks for all the ideas!
 
Last edited:
That's how the problems which initiated the great food recall of several years ago started.

That, and the 10 of 24 cats in the taste testing who dropped dead from kidney failure. Whoops.

"Dog Food Politics" is all about that recall, and how it was handled by both the companies and the government, and the supply chain behind commercial dog foods. It's pretty scary.
 
Emma goes through stages where she won't eat at all. I can put her food out in the morning and she won't eat it until the afternoon. She knows if she's hungry or not. Sometimes, I sprinkle just a bit of grated cheese on it and she likes this.

I had a spell when she was about five months old where she refused to eat the Eukanuba. I emailed the breeder and she told me of another good food that we can get in Canada. Got it and tried it, mixed with her other foot to start. She spits out what she doesn't want. This worked for about five days and then she refused to eat the new food and would eat the Eukanuba - go figure out that one. So now, if she doesn't eat right away, I don't worry. But she does have to have her food dish in the living room where she has company. She's a real suck.

Noah was the same. I could open a brand new bag of food and he refused to eat it.
 
I put Cali's food in sealed plastic containers so I don't have the current back to look at.

One thing I learned from the pet food recalls is even if you do put your food in another container, you should keep the bag until the food is used up. Otherwise if there's a problem, you have no way to identify the batch to the company. This was an issue during the pet food recalls when people called the companies to complain about the food.

I put my food in plastic containers too, but I always keep the empty bag till it's gone. You just never know.
 
One thing I learned from the pet food recalls is even if you do put your food in another container, you should keep the bag until the food is used up. Otherwise if there's a problem, you have no way to identify the batch to the company. This was an issue during the pet food recalls when people called the companies to complain about the food.

I put my food in plastic containers too, but I always keep the empty bag till it's gone. You just never know.

that is an excellent tip Ann! I never thought of that, but we do keep the bag in the plastic container.
 
hmm, Che seems to be pretty nonchalant regarding any of his kibble- we had few promo bags given to us at one time or other/ he gets Life Abundance delivered and we had been given bunch of promotional holistic local foods and Orijen, Acana, etc./ and it seems make no difference for him
but yesterday we run out of chicken necks and gave him chicken backs instead- from the same store and what would you know- he politely sniffed at it and did not eat, well he was left with few kibbles instead of dinner and this morning when I put his usual VP supplement and salmon oil over it he gobbled it up like no worry in the world.
hmm, I also bought rabbit meat for him, we will see how that goes...
overall I would def keep my dog on VARIETY of foods, even if several varieties of kibble, just better for their digestion IMHO... similar like people that normally eat beans every day do not have any issues with it and people who stay away from beans always seems to develop indigestion with lots of "gassiness"... your body tends to produce variety of enzymes as opposed to the ones who limit their diets...
 
When Bacca was sick last summer (before he was diagnosed with hypo-thyroid, and subsequently with liver issues), he turned off his food entirely. I had to coax him to eat at every meal.

It was the most frustrating time. Part of me kept saying: if he's truly hungry, he will eat.

I'm now starting to think that he was rebelling against the food itself - as if he KNEW this food was not good for him. He did start to eat again once on his meds, so I guess the meds balanced things out, but I still changed his diet regardless.

Just food for thought (so to speak!). Maybe our dogs DO know what feels right to eat (not Indy though....he apparently thinks that sewing needles are good for his digestion!)
 
she actually started eating again like normal yesterday evening. I dunno what her deal was but she still kinda seems skittish about it. She eats in her crate (with the door closed but not locked so she can come out when she is done) and she will look at it and then at me a few times before she starts eating. Usually she just inhales it. I am probably close to halfway through the bag so its not like its a new thing. She is on the Core formula.. I will definitely have to stop by the pet store and see if they know anything about this and check out one of the bags. I put Cali's food in sealed plastic containers so I don't have the current back to look at. I guess I will give it a few more days and see if things go back to normal though. She ate breakfast and dinner without issue aside from the confused looks. I will try doing it tomorrow morning without water and see if it makes a difference. I used to mix Wellness wet with the kibble so that every week or so the flavors would change for her, but she completely went off of that so we went to regular kibble and she has been fine like I said for the last year. Thanks for all the ideas!

Mike, Layla is an incredibly picky, reluctant eater, too. Some days she skips breakfast and has to be coaxed to eat dinner. I just figure she's a diva.
 
Back
Top