Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Can anyone recommend a super vacuum cleaner?

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by LumShadow, Feb 14, 2012.

1. quensimp

quensimp Forums Novice

May 2, 2013
    Provo
    i need some help from you vac pros!

I think we all have different needs in a vacuum, some of us want a higher quality and some of us just want a cheap vacuum that does the trick for a while. With that being said I'm kind of a novice in vacuum buying and I thought you guys could help me out with some advice or suggestions. I found this site last night http://www.squidoo.com/what-is-the-best-vacuum-cleaner and I'm considering the hoover windtunnel even tho it's kind of pricey i'm hoping it will last a while. I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with it or suggestions of other ways to go? Thanks a lot.

2. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    I have a Shark...and I love it. It gets used no less than 2x a day. It has attachments for hard floors, and also a special arm attachment, that I don't even need to move furniture to vacuum under. Which I like.

There are several styles. My first shark was the purple one, then upgraded to the white one which is their newest. I sold the purple in a heart beat, for the amount I paid for it.

3. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Forums Celebrity

Oct 24, 2008
    If I posted before, I may have said this, but since I'm being lazy and not reading the first two pages again, I'll say it again. LOL.

One thing to take into consideration is bagged vs bagless. I had a Bissell bagless and I honestly was amazed at the amount fur and dirt it picked up. I'm talking "ew, gross that's in my carpet?" amount of gunk. I loved that vacuum. One big problem. When I'd empty the cannister, it was bad for my allergies and asthma. I now go with bagged vacuums so I don't have to deal with the dust and fur flying around in the air when I toss the contents or have to wash it. Gross, I hated washing the pieces too.

But that's just me. I have heard great things about the Hoover. But then, I have heard great things about Dyson even though they don't typically get high ratings in Consumer Reports. Good luck!

4. o.lawrence

o.lawrence Forums Novice

Apr 13, 2016
    New Jersey
    Until our financial situation occurs, I'm making do with a el cheapo ($39) Bissel from Le Mart de Wal. It does a remarkable job, considering. We have carpets (about a year old) and they do need vacuuming every other day or so, but my disability prevents me from doing it that often.

I actually bought an old-fashioned mechanical sweeper (also a Bissel) that works WONDERS. It will get at least as much hair up as the vacuum, if not more. It's small and lightweight so I am able to take it upstairs and from room to room with no problems. It's great for quick touch-ups, especially after brushing!

I've also invested in a Bissel Spotbot Pet http://cleanthiscarpet.com/bissell-spotbot-pet-low-weight-and-price that is a godsend. Every new puppy should come with one!

5. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    I love my shark vacuum. I use to have phantoms until they tanked but I got yrs of hard service from them. Now I have a shark and I love IT for picking up after the furbabies. I love how you can use it in the car, so easy and portable.

I also can NOT live without my hoover steamvac pet complete carpet cleaner with surge. If you have pets or kids and carpets. I can't live w/o it. It cleans up spills, upchucks or accidents. When my 2nd sheltie had seizures sometimes she lost all control and foamed at the mouth, so I had to have something to deeply clean after her episodes and that was the best and easiest mch to handle it.

6. Mignarda

Mignarda Forums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2013
    Dover, Delaware
    I have an Oreck that works very nicely on hair, and everything else.

7. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I was heartbroken when our Phantom finally gave up the ghost and I realized they weren't making them anymore. That thing really cleaned up the Sheltie hair. We didn't want a mortgage on a vaccum so we went with a Hoover bagless. I can't stand the bags. It is doing the trick and clearly pointing out where the Phantom had been struggling in its final months.

8. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Those were great machines. I was shocked they weren't made anymore. But if I like something, and it works well, then it gets discontinued every time. It was FANTASTIC in the battle against sheltie fur. :lol: I loved all the attachments, and the really long hose extensions.

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I almost bought a Dymon until I found the Shark Lift Way.

The problem with most Dymon is that the rotating ball is so big you cant get under tables and chairs and coffee tables.

I bought the Shark a year ago and no regrets. It's got pet attachments, and the lift away lets you get to stairs and under tables easy.

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    I have a Hoover wind tunnel and I like it except I always have to clean the beater bar before I vacuum because of all the long dog hair that gets wrapped around it. I've had it for almost a year, didn't have a problem with the last vacuum but I had my old cocker spaniel and she had short fur, I really think I'd have the same problem with other vacuums as well.