Canine Lupus

Ann

Moderator
I had my Pixie at the vet today for a lesion on her lower lip that looked like she'd either scraped it on something or been stung. There's a pink spot right in the middle of her black lip. The vet said while it's possible that is what happened, it's also possible she has an autoimmune disease called either Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) or Discoid Lupus (DLE). This is a disease that rarely affects dogs, except of course for Shelties and Collies who for some reason may be predisposed to it. And yes, this is my poor little girl with the canine epilepsy and the IBD. At age 2, she doesn't need still another issue. :no:

The prognosis at this juncture is to watch it and see if it spreads. These spots usually appear on the dog's nose, but can happen on the lips as well. If it does, it means a biopsy and tests and possibly lifelong medication. Meantime he told me to feed her only from a stainless steel bowl -- no ceramic or plastic -- which apparently aggravates this, a good thing for everyone to know. I've been using ceramic bowls that are washed after every feeding.

Has anyone else had any experience with this? Pixie and I would really appreciate a few of those prayers to St. Francis too. She just lost her St. Francis medal she's had since she was a sickly puppy...I'll be replacing it ASAP.
 
Ann

My prayers to Saint Francis for Pixie will begin now. You are right the poor dear has enough .:sadsmile: Please Saint Francis Deliver Pixie from this diagnosis, through your intersession I so ask on this little dears behalf.
 
Dear Saint Francis

Look after Ann's Pixie and ask He who knows the fall of every sparrow to watch over this little Sheltie. The world needs her.
 
Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for your prayers and good thoughts for Pixie. :sadsmile: I'll keep you posted and let you know how she's doing. One of the wonderful things about this forum is the ability to share these things so that other Sheltie lovers can be aware of some of the issues our beloved pups can be subject to, and what to do about them. But most of all, the support and friendship among the group here is just wonderful! :smile2: Thanks again to everyone. I'm sure St. Francis has his hand on Pixie now. :yes:
 
Update on Pixie?

Hi I would love an update on Pixie, how is she doing? My girl, Tempo, also has discoid lupus. I have her on omega liquid oil and a topical cream is applied to her nose twice a day. It is a lifelong routine and although it isn't curing, it is helping to keep the symptoms at bay. It has remained stable about two years now. Hoping this is how it will continue.



Thanks to all of you for your prayers and good thoughts for Pixie. :sadsmile: I'll keep you posted and let you know how she's doing. One of the wonderful things about this forum is the ability to share these things so that other Sheltie lovers can be aware of some of the issues our beloved pups can be subject to, and what to do about them. But most of all, the support and friendship among the group here is just wonderful! :smile2: Thanks again to everyone. I'm sure St. Francis has his hand on Pixie now. :yes:
 
Back
Top