Clipping your sheltie

Hi there!

How would compare a mattbreaker (I've never heard of it!) to the Furminator? Indy still has massive undercoat and is shedding lots!

It cuts the undercoat out-completely strips it, if you're not careful!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=843

I use the one called (lol) matbreaker! It has sharp blades and will completely remove and undercoat. The furminator doesn't have a sharp blade, but I've never used one either!

I know with the matbreaker, I used it to remove undercoat while showing (to even up the topline, and remove the undercoat when there was too much), and it would very easily remove everything but the topcoat.

It also removes the shedded hair. It works even better when it's paired with the Chris Christenson ( http://www.chrissystems.com/brushes.htm ) pin brush. The wooden one, with 1" pins. Because the matbreaker cuts out the undercoat, the brush (with the really long pins) can get to the skin (and through all of the hair-wonderful in shedding season!) even easier.
 
It sounds alot like the Furminator, which I've got, but use sparingly.

I do need a new pin brush. I don't like the Petsmart version that I have. I will check out the Chris Christenson one (I like their products....I also use the dry shampoo and conditioner from this outfit....probably got the tip from you!)

Thanks alot!
 
After years of using the cheaper type of brushes, at a dog show (more than 8 years ago!), we found the Chris Christensen brushes...I don't think that they'd been highly produced at that time, because that was the first time we'd seen them. We got 3 of them (1 for me, 1 for my grandmother and 1 for my mother) and we've fallen in love with them. Completely. I'd marry the brush if I could! :biggrin2:
 
Cutting for summer

Sage had the most beautiful of any sheltie I have ever seen. We had his coat cut for the summers and the coat came back just as beautiful. But, when he came down with Cushings disease, his rear coat didn't grow back after the last cut. It can get humid and hot as he##:mad: here. Our summers have seen many days over the 100s. Now, Buggs gets very hot. Even though we have his coat trimmed he has to stay inside. If I had show dogs of course I wouldn't trim the hair. But for my babies who are not interested in competition and more involved in squirrel chasing and lizard stalking,the fur is in the can:lol:.
 
Ruckus's hair has already grown completely back! I will probably do him again sometime because he really looked super cute. He looked like a teddy bear. Ruckus really doesnt have a sheltie coat, head, body or anything. No one really knows he is a sheltie but me. LOL

for the first couple of weeks his coat texture got a bit stiffer, but quickly got back to normal.

I have been pushing this cute on my clients that normally get their shelties SKINNED for the summer. They like them about 1 inch long all over and they are glad I talked them into it. Me to, i hate shaving those poor babies down.

I am sure Ruckus was much cooler. But I do not think it was necessarily because of the hair cut. Before the hair cut I pretty well removed all of his undercoat to get a better cut.
 
When I first had shelties, I asked my Vet about getting them trimmed for the summer and she said that she used have shelties and that their double coats are suited for both summer and winter. As long as you keep the undercoat groomed, their hair is vented for a more cooling effect. So I have never had them trimmed much. Hope this helps.
 
Back
Top