Cosmo & Now Food

Hurtseverywhere

Forums Enthusiast
AS some of you who hang out on the agility forum know, reciently I have been having problems with Cosmo, being a bit lethargic, depressed, irritable, just not his normal self , but we really couldn't find anything wrong with him or any obvious reason for the change in his demeanor..( our Vet was on holidays but we had some blood work done but everything was good no obvious problems found.
When we got the new pup 5 months ago, it was on NOW puppy , Cosmo had alway been on a much cheaper food but I figured maybe I should upgrade his as well so we switched him Over to NOW adult. He loved the food and just gobbles it up ,but as time passed he just didn't seem to be himself. We have beeen trying different things with him so a few weeks ago we switched him back to a mix of his old food and , within a few day's we started to see a difference in his demeaner and energy level. This friday he had his vet checkup scheduled and they found that his anal glands were impacted although he had never exhibited any of the usual symptons for this ,Scooting, laboured pooping, ect,
anyway they expholiated him and we have now switched him back to his cheap food and he has shown a huge improvement over the last couple of days,he was even playing with me this morning, something he hasn't done for weeks nows, the vet seems to think he was having a problem with the NOW because of the unrendered meat in it, I talked to my petcurean rep about this(a Family Member) and she said that she had heard of a few select dogs having an issue with this and suggested switching to summitt, or GO instead in which the meat products are rendered, but for Now I am just going to put him back on his old food and then may try a mix.

So anyway it seems like it may have been the Good premium Food that was giving him trouble, Go figure, and although the pup seems to be fine with it, it just didn't agree with Cosmo and his digestive system.
anyway it appears that I am getting my old dog back slowly but surely and that's a relief. he was even playing chase with Storm this morning in the back yard and he hasn't done that for over a month.
 
Glad to hear you were able to pinpoint the problem.

I have both mine on Summit and I can't get the food into their dishes fast enough. Even Emma is getting very vocal about her food. I like it because it is made in Ontario.
 
Looked at the summit website and sounds like a really good food, but can't get it down here in Florida. I was looking over the testimonials and there is a brown lab with such a coat shine it was awesome. Most of the letters were on Go and Now food.
 
Robin,
Not every food is going to be right for every dog, no matter what the quality is. Another example, to add to what you posted about NOW, is my Edan with Taste of the Wild or Blue Buffalo Wilderness - both highly ranked grain free foods. To put it mildly, the tore his digestive tract apart. No matter how slowly we tried to integrate the foods, he'd end up with diarrhea. Yet many on this forum feed TOTW and other grain free diets without a problem.

As Chris pointed out, dogs have thrived for years on Purina and other low quality foods.

I'm so glad you found Cosmo's problem and he's starting to behave like his old self again.
 
I'm so glad you isolated Cosmo's problem and resolved it! That said, please don't give up on good foods.

I had two of my dogs on Now a while back too, and I found that it constipated them. I never knew about the rendered/unrendered meat; how interesting. I switched mine to Go! and they are doing wonderfully well. My show dog eats Go Endurance and my other two eat Go Duck or Salmon rotated with Artemis and supplemented with Vibrant Pets and it's great.

So it's not just you who had issues with Now. My vet was surprised...he feeds it to his dogs and he'd never heard of a problem until me. You just have to do what's best for your dog.
 
Back
Top