Deer antlers?

I sell them in my store, and they are a best seller, for sure.

But I honestly don't know how to recommend you treat them if you are getting them "fresh". Boiling seems like a good recommendation, but I would google it.
 
Bella LOVES antlers....by far her favorite I tried to get some from a butcher shop here that also does deer processing for hunters but they said the hunters always take them when they pick of the meat :( I read on the internet to freeze them for 2 weeks to kill insects/bacteria prior to letting your dog have them. The article also said the darker brown they are the better for nutrients and if they have the velvet on them they are the most nutrient rich. I got her one with velvet at an agility competition one time and she went CRAZY over it. You are so lucky to be able to get them like that.
 
I've also discovered that split antlers are even better.....the dogs that are less chewy, get instant access to the marrow which makes them more palatable.

You will also find differences between elk, deer and moose. I think elk are softer, and are actually my best seller.
 
I was at PetCo today & saw their antler display - they have puppy sized. Any thoughts on that? (Bringing Baker home in two weeks and cannot find enough products to spoil him with) lol
 
I give my dogs the split antlers. As stated early, it's easier for the dog to get to the marrow. My Jasmine is an epic chewer, I think she was underweight when I got her because they were giving her at least 2 rawhides a day. The antlers last months and actually give the dogs nutrients like calcium. I watch my girls though, if it sounds like they are chewing aggressively I'll take them away and give them a different toy. I don't like the idea of broken teeth either!

A note for the puppy antlers, I did bring one of them home for Jasmine. I stopped buying them because they can come with a thin pointed edge (PetSmart brand). My golden was able to break that off and swallow it pretty easily. The split antlers are longer but thinner, so should still work well for a puppy. Jasmine's been working on hers for almost 3 months now. :)
 
Last edited:
Mine don't like the deer antler - found that out the hard way as they are very expensive here. Not sure if there is much of a teeth cleaning benefit as they are just so hard.
 
Some dogs love them...some can't be bothered.

But if you can get interested they are great for the teeth. Worth trying. And they do last a long time.
 
I prefer elk over deer antlers. I get a groupon deal that comes with a split and a whole piece of elk antler. The company I like to get them from is Bucky Bites. I think Riley has had his oldest pair for almost a year and he still likes to chew them. I don't give deer antlers anymore as I have had them splinter.
 
Keep an eye out on anyone gnawing on an antler. It might not be a big issue with our little guys, but my sister has an 80 pound bully mix who crushed and splintered one and them ate all of the bits. She didn't realize it until she came back into the room and couldn't find it. Nothing bad happened other than getting a belly full of peroxide and ice cream.
 
Back
Top