Derrett Seminar Recap

Interestingly, my trainer teaches both Mecklenberg and Derrett. She teaches the Mecklenberg to our "disabled" student who uses a scooter and teaches the rest Derrett. I personally favor Derrett of the two, and know nothing about the rest. I am going to check out the links everyone posted though. I think its good to know what else exists out there.

Well, yesterday I audited "putting it all together". I thought it was the FC/RC class, but guess not. I'm glad I went to this one. Dear gawd, she put up some difficult courses then simply said, "it's 2 serpentines, here and here" and then the light bulb moment, "ooooohhhhhhhhhhh". LOL. I was so confused on what to even do, I just drew the course and waited for Laura to tell us what we were supposed to do.

I admit, auditing isn't as much fun, however, when you also have a dog that is lacking in some foundation skills, it's kinda nice to NOT run. The only part I didn't like about not having my dog? I realized that running ingrains it into my brain more than just walking.

I learned a lot yesterday though. I'm on "full". hehehe. It was so cold, sadly, I was wearing my North Face 3-in-1 jacket that I bought for my Alaskan cruise a couple years ago. I had a thermal long sleeve shirt, a t-shirt, a fleece beanie on my head, and a blanket. Yes, I'm in CA. It was 70. Just kidding, it was probably in the 40's in the shade. Brrrr. It's cold when you're not running either.

I am so tired today and I think I'm getting sick. Boo. However, after all that, the best thing I learned....was that they are coming back in November. I have about 8 months to save up for 4 days of working spots. Hopefully I can get in. I already emailed the woman who sets up the seminar. Hopefully she's making a list.

P.S. I met a woman with a Sheltie who asked me if I'm going to the Sheltie National. I'm not, but she is. Now that's a Sheltie owner!!! lol
 
Well, yesterday I audited "putting it all together". I thought it was the FC/RC class, but guess not. I'm glad I went to this one. Dear gawd, she put up some difficult courses then simply said, "it's 2 serpentines, here and here" and then the light bulb moment, "ooooohhhhhhhhhhh". LOL. I was so confused on what to even do, I just drew the course and waited for Laura to tell us what we were supposed to do.

One of the first things we learned in our handling class (regular classes, not a seminar) was to break a course down into pieces. Look for things like serpentines, pin wheels, jump chutes, etc. If you work the course in small segments, it's not only easier to remember the course but to come up with an effective strategy for navigating it.

At trials, I've been known to sit with a pencil and doodle on course maps looking for patterns and ways to effectively break it down.
 
Well, yesterday I audited "putting it all together". I thought it was the FC/RC class, but guess not. I'm glad I went to this one. Dear gawd, she put up some difficult courses then simply said, "it's 2 serpentines, here and here" and then the light bulb moment, "ooooohhhhhhhhhhh". LOL. I was so confused on what to even do, I just drew the course and waited for Laura to tell us what we were supposed to do.

I know exactly what you mean! Tracy did the same thing at her seminar (also follows the Derrett system). She would set up these super hard, tight courses and then once she broke them down, it was ohhhh!

And I know how cold it gets just sitting too! Trust me! I'm in Canada, and her seminar was in January in an arena!!!

Glad you learned so much. I wish I could attend one of their seminars. I've been looking on their web site and nothing is listed, so I guess, unless you know someone who knows someone, it is impossible to know where they are going to be held and when IN time for registration!
 
Glad you learned so much. I wish I could attend one of their seminars. I've been looking on their web site and nothing is listed, so I guess, unless you know someone who knows someone, it is impossible to know where they are going to be held and when IN time for registration!


Brrrr.....I visited Vancouver, one yaer, in June. Dear gawd. The sun would go down and it was cold!!! I was so surprised. I'm glad I called the hotel cuz I would've brought shorts and stuff. LOL. (granted the next time I went, it was humid and almost 80 F).

Y'know, their website doesn't list ANYTHING about the seminars, so I have no clue. I know ours, here, is done by Keen Performance (http://www.keenperformancedogs.com/) and that's the only place I see it listed (besides here: http://slipstreamaussies.com/calendar/). But you're right, NOTHING is on their website, so I have no clue how you find out about it.

I also know I was signed up (by my trainer) prior to it saying they're accepting registrations. By the time that showed up on the website, all working spots were taken. I asked Laura when they'd return, that's the ONLY reason I know when they're coming. It's weird, isn't it? You just have to do a general search and hope something comes up.

That or you can come down here in November. There were a few people here from Canada.
 
Thanks for the invite but California is a bit too far of a drive from the prairies! I think it would be over 36 hour drive! Hmmmm - I need a faster car! (and no speed limits :wink2:)
 
Brrrr.....I visited Vancouver, one yaer, in June. Dear gawd. The sun would go down and it was cold!!! .

:lol: That was Vancouver! That's the balmy part of the country! Ania is in Winterpeg (I mean Winnipeg)....and you want to talk COLD!? Ania - remind us...when do you normally move out of your igloo for your 3 weeks of summer? :lol::razz:
 
Agility

Sounds like it was a great semianr. Again I am jealous.:sadsmile:I will have to wait till the end of March.When I run a course I walk it and then will will sit and visualize in my head how I am going to handle it.I tune everyone out. I also sit ring side and watch the runs.
 
That was Vancouver! That's the balmy part of the country! Ania is in Winterpeg (I mean Winnipeg)....and you want to talk COLD!? Ania - remind us...when do you normally move out of your igloo for your 3 weeks of summer?

:uhoh:

Well, seeing as how I'm from Southern California.....I'm a big weather wuss. And 95% of my life's vacations were to Hawaii. Therefore....

I'm not even going to COMMENT on the REAL cold in other parts of the world. Cuz I know 30 is cold to me. I'd probably die in 20 degrees (above zero). :dead:
 
Sounds like it was a great semianr. Again I am jealous.:sadsmile:I will have to wait till the end of March.When I run a course I walk it and then will will sit and visualize in my head how I am going to handle it.I tune everyone out. I also sit ring side and watch the runs.

I sit and watch the runs too. Especially the dogs closer in height. It really helps me get a feel for the course and if I'm thinking about doing something WAY WRONG. It also seems to calm me down.

I always forget about the visualization. They say it does wonders for all things. I should try that next time (and with my golf game).
 
Back
Top