Derrett Seminar Recap

Great recap! I can hardly wait for tomorrow.

I agree about the value of feedback from your instructor. I learn so much more when I get more than a 'good job'. I want to know specifically what I did right (it was probably an accident :wink2:) and at least a couple of things I could do to improve. I'm not there to have my 'feelings' stroked. I'm there to learn.

I loved the "it was probably and accident". so true, so true!!!
And like you, I'm there to learn. Unfortunately, the other two people in my class are there for fun. The third is like me and wants to learn. Its rough when you're in a class that's half there for fun. lol
 
Sounds like a great seminar.
You know, I've always preferred an instructor who will tell me what I need to work on, and be honest about it, as opposed to one who just tells me 'great! keep doing that! that's wonderful!'. You don't learn anything from hearing how good it was. You only learn by knowing what it is you need to work on, and how to go about fixing it.
When I took riding lessons (for many, many years) I always sought out the toughest, most knowledgeable instructors to ride with. I didn't want to hear it was a pretty ride. I wanted someone who would get after me and show me my mistakes and how to rider better. I'm the same way with the agility. Now, I don't want it to be rude, but I do want to know exactly what I'm doing wrong. It's not going to hurt my feelings or demotivate me... it's going to make me work that much harder.
 
Not sure what happened with my video, but I put it elsewhere and it works with Quicktime. Not sure about anything else. Good luck on viewing it. Looks like Vimeo didn't like it.
 
The seminars that I've been to have had 6-10 working groups and auditors. I have to say, I like doing both. You get so much from working, but you also get a lot from auditing and watching others work.
I have three of Greg Derrett's DVDs and a couple of Susan Garrett's. Their system is always evolving, so the DVD's are a bit 'outdated' but give you a great foundation and you get all the upto date new stuff at the seminars. I wish I knew when they were going to do another seminar like the one the three of them did in Florida. I would love to go!
 
Sharon, you have mentioned Karen Holik a few times. I've gone to her web site. She does sound amazing. I love watching all the videos! Do you know what handling system she uses?
 
Sounds like a great time. I would like to go to a seminar sometime. I'm pretty clueless on the handling systems. Heard people talk about them but don't know the difference. :(

I like an instructor to give me feedback too. I tend to do weird things that I don't realize am doing and need people to tell me that I'm doing them and not to do them.:smile2:
 
The Mecklenberg and Derrett systems are the big two. Most, if they follow a system, follow one or the other of these.
I follow Linda's :)
 
The seminar I'm disappointed to have missed was Stuart Mah. (I hope I speleld that right.) He was here in December and I just did NOT have a free weekend in December to attend.

my club is having a seminar this weekend with Stuart Mah. I haven't started any agility and it filled very quickly so I won't be attending but I will hear all about it later. actually since it's supposed to be very cold (for here) and it's outdoors- I might be glad to not be there :wink2:
 
Back
Top