DHLPP - Leptospirosis

After a quick Google search I found a SN thread on it from 2010. What a coincidence!:winkgrin: Leptospirosis info

Nothing in that thread provides reliable sourced information regarding the vaccine as it pertains to herding breeds. I've seen plenty of hearsay on rescue sites but have yet to see any of them provide the (reliable, academic) sources of their info.

My own vet has yet to have any dog have more than a localized reaction to a lepto vaccine (lepto-only or combo), and they are a very high-volume practice. But they have seen quite a few, eleven if I remember correctly, cases of lepto in the last year, and not all the dogs survived even after extremely expensive treatment at Michigan State.
 
Anecdotal evidence: Our first dog, McKay received the combo with Lepto. By the time they got home, his head was double in size, and he had vomited all over the husband. Our vet stopped doing Lepto shortly after that. McKay never got another combo with lepto, and never had another vaccine reaction. So... draw your own conclusions. :smile2:

FWIW: I don't think it's a Sheltie/Collie thing. I think it's just a dog thing. I actually gave my Collie the distemper/parvo shot a few weeks ago (after not having one since puppyhood), and as the tech went to get it, my vet yelled down the hallway "NO LEPTO!" Whether he knew I would object, or whether he had another reason, I don't know. My Collie is MDR-1 mutant/mutant.
 
Back
Top