Diva has a new agility handler, maybe

Justicemom

Forums Celebrity
Diva's co owner Rachel came with me to class tonight. I was in kind of a grumpy mood and Diva was pushing all my buttons. But I was trying to be upbeat but losing the battle and getting really frustated. I am having a really hard time because I can't run very fast and my 2 dogs have such a different style that switching back and forth is confusing me.

Rachel has helped me with Diva's training and had trained Diva for a short time in her foundation classes so sort of knows what she is doing as far as crosses, handling etc. But she has never shown a dog in agilty or analyzed courses. She asked me half way though class if she could run Diva. I said sure she couldn't do any worse than I was. Now Rachel is over 10yrs younger and alot more atheltic than me. We walked the course together, I told her how in theory I would run it. Told her to make sure she got the bottoms everytime, don't press her into the weaves and let her have at it.

They had 10 obstacles to do. Not too difficult a pattern. Diva was so excited. Off they went and Diva's body language suddenly changed from just running to one of more attention. Someone was actually running fast with her. She watched Rachel like a hawk. Rachel did the crosses great and then they sprinted to the finish line. On the last curve Rachel lost her bearings and had to jump a jump to keep from taking it out. :lol: Thankfully it was only 12". Diva let her have it,telling her off with that very short ticked off sounding bark of hers. They fixed it and finished. They looked so great and holy cow now I know why I can't keep up with Diva. She is a rocket.

The last run of class was the whole course a 20 obstacle excellent course. They did it with only a few baubles. Rachel is a natural. She had so much fun and so did Diva and I wasn't frustrated by my lack of athletic ability. Ember and I also had fun. Next week Rachel is coming to class again and she is expressing interest in running Diva more often. I am kinda of sad in that its like I'm admitting Diva is too much dog:( for me but on the other hand its so much more fun for Diva.:smile2:
 
Last edited:
It's great that Rachel is willing to run Diva and that she seems to be a natural at Agility, but if I were in your shoes I know I would have the same happy/sad feelings. Please, don't necessarily look at this as the end of your Agility career with Diva. If Rachel continues to run her for 6 months or so, it's entirely possible that Diva will mature out of her impatience on the course and adjust to a handling style that works for you, too.

I have to believe that part of the reason Diva is able to be handler focused is the result of your Obedience work with her. Phebe's attention and my ability to hold it has definitely improved as we've added Obedience work to our training. We just started a Rally class this week. There are 12 dogs in the class and 10 of them are young Agility dogs that need to work on handler focus.

I know some people believe that you can't work a dog in Obedience and Agility at the same time. I think the two venues complement each other, and it's especially true for young dogs.
 
It is a bit sad, I can understand how you feel. I had an agility trainer & judge tell me once that I was holding my dog back (Tully) so I changed clubs. To me agility is about doing something fun with Tully, its not about the competition. Tully will always be ahead of me as far as agility skills go, but we have too much fun together for her to care if I can't keep up! Plus I think it pushes me further to have the Tully challenge. There is an older bloke with a BC in my class who has the same issue - his BC could practically run the course himself but he doesnt because he loves to work with his owner.

On the plus side at least she is a co-owner so it will mean Diva is still running with family and you have other agility dogs to run. I dont know how you manage all those activities with your dogs, esp with competitions.
 
Actually I think it would be cool. I have considered agility but am pretty sure I would be uber slow to Sca's blazing speed. I also realize my ankle will probably never take running again as the tendons are screwed up so my speed is not likely to change. However I would get a smile out of Sca blowing through stuff as he LOVES to chase and run.
 
I see how this can be bittersweet for you. It sounds like it's a great opportunity for Diva and Rachel. This doesn't mean you can never run Diva again. Maybe you and Rachel can switch off handling her? When Diva gets older and slows down, you'll be able to run her without feeling like you're holding her back and confusing yourself.
 
Last edited:
I understand how you're feeling as well. As much as I've enjoyed agility classes, I've finally admitted to myself that the frustration I have from time to time is not helpful to my dog. I'm going to continue to play at backyard agility for the time being, but may not choose to trial until I'm more confident and Snap is more handler focused.

I agree with others that all of the other dog activities that we do help enhance the bond between our dogs and ourselves. In fact, the canine freestyle instructor at camp commented that with a few years of c.f. work under our belts, we might be well suited to return to agility.

So I look at this as being a parallel path that may well converge with other things down the road.
 
I see how this can be bittersweet for you. It sounds like it's a great opportunity for Diva and Rachel. This doesn't mean you can never run Diva again. Maybe you and Rachel can switch off handling her? When Diva gets older and slows down, you'll be able to run her without feeling like you're holding her back and confusing yourself.

I am still going to be working with her at home. Hopefully, we will developed a better agility working relationship that includes distance and of course her obedience training is all mine. :smile2: It was really cool to see her run though. I was thinking I taught that dog to do all that:cool:She really loves Rachel so I don't feel like I am turning her over to a stranger. Although when Diva goes into racecar mode again in the breed ring Rachel is going to be sorry.:lol:
 
It sounds like a win win situation. You can work with Diva at home, and since she gets to run the course in a way that better fits her style with her friend, she may be more enthused about agility all together.

thanks for sharing your story.
 
Back
Top