do you have an agility instructor?

Ashley, just curious. Do you think this would be an easier course with Bentley due to the off-courses?

Tough question. The answer is yes...this course has a few potential off courses that I can almost guarantee that Bentley wouldn't take.

But, it's also a hard course for Bentley because it doesn't help him generate any speed at all. If I think about how I would handle 1-5, I would literally just be standing there (not moving much). Talk about some serious handler focus. Even though he can take a pinwheel without me having to babysit, he still isn't ready to complete the pinwheel while I move away to set something up (for instance, to send him out at 3, and then move to FC before 6). I would probably have to move towards 4 with him, wait until he's committed, and the move to FC.

Because he doesn't have the chance to pick up a lot of speed, RCs become more difficult. He is more likely to balk, look at me and incur a refusal when he's going slowly.

Also, a potential difficulty for handler focused dogs is the exit to the weave poles. Realistically, you want to pull away and set up for 17/18/19, but in all likelihood, moving that far away would pull the dog from the weaves.

Just this past weekend there was a really tough Grand Prix course that we ran. Not many dogs qualified because there were so many potential off courses. Bentley ran clean (past all the tough spots), and then incurred a refusal at a tunnel where we wanted to RC. He was in handler focus so much, that he was pulled off of an easy obstacle.
 
Just this past weekend there was a really tough Grand Prix course that we ran. Not many dogs qualified because there were so many potential off courses. Bentley ran clean (past all the tough spots), and then incurred a refusal at a tunnel where we wanted to RC. He was in handler focus so much, that he was pulled off of an easy obstacle.


I'm seeing that a lot with Koji in AKC. Because we don't have the speed, he refuses things when I do RC's. Hence why I'm trying to get more FC's in.

I'd probably handle the intro the same. Babysit 4 to FC 5 and move on. Like you said, no movement creates a dog that is very handler focused. Sigh. We have work to do.

At the end, because I have to still babysit all the weaves, I'd probably just do a FC on the right of poles as he exits, to turn him around to go to 17. in correct, but it works for now. OR I'd do one of those wide RC btwn 17-18. Where you let him jump 17, get in front of you, then cross behind towards 18. I'm seeing that a lot more in the higher levels.

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I was just curious.
And sorry for getting OT everyone.
 
I had weaves on my left. First run I pulled Che out of last pole because I started thinking of FC too early and rotated my shoulders. Second time was better as I was able to run all the way out of weaves and do FC in the clear and then send pinwheel like 17-18-19.
I was only able to do FC 7-8 only because I sent Che from the tunnel to the jump while running curved toward tunnel 8 and FC right in front of it. I can send Che over the 15 but am unable to end up on other side of weaves, if Che sees me running in that direction he would assume he needs to go on the dog walk which we did while running 9-10... so yeah, we have a lot to learn yet...
hopefully novice AKC we entered in 2 weeks will have something simpler:smile2:
 
IOR I'd do one of those wide RC btwn 17-18. Where you let him jump 17, get in front of you, then cross behind towards 18. I'm seeing that a lot more in the higher levels.
.

Sounds like you're describing a tandem turn. One of my absolute favorite moves with Bentley if I can't get in a FC. It's great.
 
I had weaves on my left. First run I pulled Che out of last pole because I started thinking of FC too early and rotated my shoulders. Second time was better as I was able to run all the way out of weaves and do FC in the clear and then send pinwheel like 17-18-19.
I was only able to do FC 7-8 only because I sent Che from the tunnel to the jump while running curved toward tunnel 8 and FC right in front of it. I can send Che over the 15 but am unable to end up on other side of weaves, if Che sees me running in that direction he would assume he needs to go on the dog walk which we did while running 9-10... so yeah, we have a lot to learn yet...
hopefully novice AKC we entered in 2 weeks will have something simpler:smile2:

Oh trust me, you will NOT see this in Novice. LOL. If you do, your judge is just mean! Even in Open, I haven't seen something like this. The hardest I've come across is this: Open JWW
And I say that because no dogs Q'd. Not one of them. And that's not even as difficult as what you practiced. Sheesh. But trust me, if you practice harder things, Novice will be a breeze!

I think another reason that course could be considered hard is that a lot of dogs pattern really easily. I know Koji does. So if he goes one direction and has to take the DW, but the second tiem around, no DW, he'd try to take it. It's like he's saying, "oh, I know where I'm going, so I'm not going to pay attention to you". That's when being able to call them off of something (before they even head that way) is good.

Trust me, I couldn't handle that course "correctly" either, I'd have to adjust my handling to my dogs inabilities. i.e. he can't finish the weaves unless I'm in front of him. If I move 6" to the left/right, I'll pull him out. So frustrating! Just things we need to work on, right?!
 
here is another class review, so nicely put together by agilitynerd.

http://agilitynerd.com/blog/agility/courses/dana/dana_2010_12_21.html
I did 270 on 2-3 and kind of RC to the tunnel, entrance to the weaves was tough/ something to work on/ so I had to pull Che far enough to make it straight. Che went on to take 12 after 10 even that I attempted FC to 10-11. Che did better with RC 10-11 and rapid deceleration at 10. I did not realized that table to 16 could have been worked to the other side so it was very awkward. Since I have fed jackpot Che at the table for fast down, he went immediately back to the table after jumping 16/ smart dog, bad handler/
I was very proud of Che since it was festive party going with tables loaded with food right next to tunnel exit- jump 5, Che is such counter surfer I was sure he is going for it. Nope, baby loves his agility more:lol:
 
Wow, those are some tough courses they set up for you guys. Y'know, practicing things like that, will make Novice/Open seem like cake. And yay for Che not attacking the snack table. Now that I think about it, Koji didn't either (at our agility fun day), but then again, I never brought him NEAR that side of the room, lol.

There was a lot of off-courses and 15 to 16 is a nightmare. I think you guys are doing wonderfully considering how hard these courses are and how far along you are.

We had a hard entry like that at our fun day, it's amazing how a aiming a foot difference (us, not them) makes or breaks their entry to the weaves. I'd say that is one heck of a hard entry because they have to go angle the other way. Wow. Great job! Just keep telling yourself, this shows me where we need practice.
 
Back
Top