dog food help

I'm SO suprised everyone feeds this food... while everyone on here says no to high protein its dangerous... I actually cant help but laugh.

The company does not garantee that the foods do not contain ethoxyquin. It is a chemical preservative that has been linked to causing cancer in both humans and dogs. I would never in a million years feed a food that does not promise that all foods are free of this chemical. A company that does not promise this is no company to trust in my books. If a company does not make sure that this dangerous chemical is in the food, then what else to they allow in the foods? I would strongly suggest to stick to wellness even though it contains grains, grains dont cause cancer.

If i were you i would go with canidae because of all the recalls with blue buff. I personally would never feed a food that has had any products recalled, just because of trust issues...
 
Last edited:
I'm SO suprised everyone feeds this food... while everyone on here says no to high protein its dangerous... I actually cant help but laugh.

The company does not garantee that the foods do not contain ethoxyquin. It is a chemical preservative that has been linked to causing cancer in both humans and dogs. I would never in a million years feed a food that does not promise that all foods are free of this chemical. A company that does not promise this is no company to trust in my books. If a company does not make sure that this dangerous chemical is in the food, then what else to they allow in the foods? I would strongly suggest to stick to wellness even though it contains grains, grains dont cause cancer.

First, not every member on here is against high protein. There are members here, who are for high protein, against it, have no idea about it and some who are not concerned.

Next, not all of TOTW flavors are high protein. Their lamb formula and salmon formula are 25%. That is perfectly normal range to me. Their other two formulas are 32%, which is too high for me, but is not considered high by others.

Also, their food does not use ethoxyquin. Taken from TOTW's website:

Is Taste of the Wild made with naturally preserved fish meal?
Yes, Taste of the Wild products are made with naturally preserved fish meal. Natural mixed tocopherols are vitamin E compounds that act as antioxidants, helping to keep the food fresh. Fish meals are used in all of the Taste of the Wild foods as quality sources of amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3’s are vital for a strong immune system, healthy skin and coat, controlling inflammation.

Do you use any chemical preservatives?
Chemicals are not used to preserve any of our formulas. We use mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) to preserve the chicken fat in our pet foods. Added ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and rosemary extract in some of the formulas also have preservative effects.

I recommend, you check the food company's website before you make assumptions.
 
People have said before that they have e-mailed the company and the company itself does not use it but the companies that are associated do not promise that they dont use it. I checked the website.
 
First, not every member on here is against high protein. There are members here, who are for high protein, against it, have no idea about it and some who are not concerned.

Next, not all of TOTW flavors are high protein. Their lamb formula and salmon formula are 25%. That is perfectly normal range to me. Their other two formulas are 32%, which is too high for me, but is not considered high by others.

Also, their food does not use ethoxyquin. Taken from TOTW's website:

Is Taste of the Wild made with naturally preserved fish meal?
Yes, Taste of the Wild products are made with naturally preserved fish meal. Natural mixed tocopherols are vitamin E compounds that act as antioxidants, helping to keep the food fresh. Fish meals are used in all of the Taste of the Wild foods as quality sources of amino acids and omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3’s are vital for a strong immune system, healthy skin and coat, controlling inflammation.

Do you use any chemical preservatives?
Chemicals are not used to preserve any of our formulas. We use mixed tocopherols (vitamin E) to preserve the chicken fat in our pet foods. Added ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and rosemary extract in some of the formulas also have preservative effects.

I recommend, you check the food company's website before you make assumptions.

Randi, you beat me to it. I am not a proponent of high protein foods, hence why I chose the Sierra Mountain formula.

Also, the Sierra Mountain formula does not contain any fish or fish products at all. So, in the case of this food that "so many of us" feed, the ethoxyquin argument is moot.
 
I haven't checked it out yet, but what is the fat content like? Liam is so slender and active I am thinking I need to put him on something with a good fat content as well as a good protein content. Of course, he inhales his food - I don't think he even chews it.
 
I haven't checked it out yet, but what is the fat content like? Liam is so slender and active I am thinking I need to put him on something with a good fat content as well as a good protein content. Of course, he inhales his food - I don't think he even chews it.

Protein: 25% Fat: 15%
Calories: 3,611 kcal/kg (338 kcal/cup) C
 
Thanks everyone for your insight! I will have to call and see if my local tsc carries totw, if they do I think I will try that, If not I am thinking canidae but I have read some bad things on it so im still unsure...never thought choosing a dog food would be such a hard decision...
 
feeding raw is also high protein I guess...
lol

I am almost back to just raw again with Toffee :) I love it

Actually on a as fed basis raw is 19-20% protein. Take out the water which is 70% and it high protien 63-66%. But do you fed it as jerky? I know I don't.:smile2::wink2:

Kibble is 10% water BTW. So a 32% protein kibble is 28.8% as fed. Higer than raw.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top