Dog Health Insurance

Elei

Forums Enthusiast
I don’t know if this makes me a complete idiot, but I don’t have health insurance for any of my pets. I never have. I have health insurance for myself, but other than a few vaccines I’ve never used it so I guess I don’t have much experience in the insurance world.

But now I’m thinking it would probably be a good idea to get insurance. I’ve paid over$2500 for Jessie’s surgeries in the last 2 years. It’s more than that with all the follow up, but I haven’t added it up. For me, that’s a lot of money.

Kip has had 3 sets of X-rays in the last year, and we’ll probably be doing some more diagnostics for his knee soon and potentially some sort of surgery. I’m bracing myself for the vet bill.

At least my cat is cheap:) So far!!

Any tips? Any recommended websites that compare insurance plans? I’ll start doing my own research.

Thanks:)
 
I've never had insurance either, but I'm pretty sure several folks here use Trupanion. Others will chime in. Be sure to check if they cover pre-existing conditions like Kip's knee.
 
I am with you... I am not one to frequent doctors offices! I am blessed to be very healthy!
People always joke I spend more on healthcare for my dogs than myself.
I understand that insurance for pets is not top of mind for some of us! In all my years owning pets I never carried insurance for them! Years ago it was not as expensive to own a pet. However, options for treatment were never as broad as they are now! Everything offered for humans can now be applied to pets! Good and bad I guess.
My first and only policy is on Liam as a pup! Most people said to get a policy on an older dog is too expensive! I pay $40 a month for Liam with a $500 deductible with TruPanion.
Sharon is correct to warn that pre-existing conditions may not be covered!
I have to admit that when I was working I never really felt compelled to buy pet insurance since I could always cover the costs with no issues. Now that I am unemployed my perspective is changing towards investing in pet insurance...
 
Last edited:
Check out Embrace. Been with them for many years. They have a vanishing deductible. Every year you do not make a claim, they reduce your deductible $50.00. I went with a higher deductible and more coverage (90%). When Cody was sick, they paid on time without any hassle. Great customer service. For me, the peace of mind overrides the cost.
 
I've always gotten insurance on my puppies for the first year of their lives, based on the fact that puppies get into things and have accidents. In several cases, that's been a blessing and in others, a curse. I insured Sprite the day after I brought her home at 9 weeks with Healthy Paws only to find out when she needed hip surgery a year later that they wouldn't cover it for a ridiculous loophole reason not published in the policy. Goodbye to them.

I have Flurry insured with Trupanion and they have been wonderful. I thank God every day I have it because her skin allergies started at 6 months of age and have cost thousands of dollars. The serum I inject her with weekly is $250 a month alone. They cover 90 percent of everything, and it's in my account the next day. There is one caveat though. They raise the policy cost on every dog, regardless of whether you have a claim, each year. I had someone else insured with them, and at age 5, the monthly cost even at the top deductible was high and I canceled. So that needs to be factored in.

I've had VPI also, and they were terrible. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I don't know Embrace, but I'd certainly look at them if they are more cost effective. Remember that insuring an adult pet that's not a puppy will cost you more, and everyone disqualifies pre-existing conditions. So anything that your pet has already been treated or seen for would not be covered.
 
Thanks everyone!!

I’ll still do some research, but I’m thinking insurance is not the way to go right now. If they won’t cover Kip’s knee or itchy skin, or anything tied to a Jessie’s ACL issues, then that’s pretty useless right now! Of course it come in handy for future emergencies. Something to think about.
 
Back
Top