Dog Parks

Don't worry about it being built on a landfill. The EPA and whatever state agency you have that governs environmental concerns have to test it and approve it for humans before it will be allowed to open. Plus they have to bury that stuff under at least 3 feet of soil, I think most places go 4-5 feet to be safe.

Like several others said, get your dog fully vaccinated first. As for one particular vaccine, make sure you have kennel cough vaccine, while you won't be putting your dog in a kennel thats just a nickname for it, it's contagious just by walking past another dog with it. And make sure you get it re-upped every 6 months, thats how long it lasts.
 
I don't fully trust the government of Ontario - long story in the healthcare field. I do know that a park for humans was built in the area in 1983 on a landfill closed in 1980. It was shut down again right away and has just now been allowed to open, due the leachates. With Emma being the way she is with reactions to meds, I'm not too keen on having her exposed to any potential contaminants that would cause her to have to take meds.
 
I don't take my guys to parks. I'm not interested in the disease shedding from all the over-vaccinated dogs. I'd rather not have that kind of over-exposure if I can help it. Dog shows are enough to keep the immune system going. And the one time I went with a clients dog, the people were totally ignorant. I just got frustrated.

So as to the landfill aspect, I wouldn't think it's too much of a problem. If they found it fit for human use, it's probably fine for the dogs.
 
The thing I look for in a dog park is to have the large dogs separated from the small dogs. I don't trust the large dogs. Everytime I am there there is a fight or two or three or more! The small dog pen is fun for Ellie as she is comfortable with dogs her size or smaller. I have rarely had any problems with the people on the small dog side, I have had frequent problems with people on the large dog side.

Our park is very green and well kept and very large. They also have walking trails and lots of trees and shade and an automatic watering system. They have a large pond that is not fenced in right behind the pens. We don't walk Ellie there because I am afraid of SNAKES and also I am sure there are a gazillon ticks there as well.

Ellie doesn't have any dog friends in the neighborhood, so it gives her a chance to play wither her own kind. She is very obedient to us and has a lot of fun with the other dogs. There will always be clueless, lazy or stupid owners, but for the most part the other people there are friendly and kind to other dogs. Both my husband and I really enjoy going there. I love petting and looking at the other dogs.
 
I know a lot of you take your dogs to dog parks. Just wondering what you look for in a park. Also, what was the area used for prior to becoming a park - was it vacant land, etc.?

The reason I am asking is that my town is in the process of building a dog park that is set to open Aug 1. It sounds like it will be really nice with paved walks, off leash areas for both small and large dogs. I have a HUGE concern though. What they are building the park on was actually the town's landfill (dump site) that was closed Dec 21/08. I can handle the area where the organics were (kitchen/yard/garden waste) as it is compostable and good for the soil. Where my concern is would be the other garbage and what might be leaching from it and how it would affect the dogs, not necessary right away but later after repeated exposure to the leachates.

Any comments on a dog park like this?

Can't comment on the dog park. I can take them or leave them. But the site of an old landfill does worry me. Back in my hometown, they built a softball complex on the site of an old landfill. Many many years not used, I think alot of people forgot there was once a dump there it was so old. Anyway, about 7 yr or so after building the softball fields, the land start to settle and buried objects started to come to the surface. Several people were injuried(cut) by old metal objects that were poking though the soil.There was worry about what else was coming to the surface. They ended up abandoning the whole complex. I heard they wanted to make it a dog park too but as far as I know it is still vacant.
 
Back
Top