Dog Pumpkin/Sweet Potato Canned

I found some pumpkin while in Sam's Club. 3 large cans packaged together; picked up 2 of them.

I'm inclined to agree with some of the others - put a pretty label on it, claim its for dogs and charge more for something you can buy in the regular grocery (or make yourself with a food processor).
 
My problem is that once I open a can, it will go bad before I can feed it all to the dogs. I only give them a tablespoon at a time.

How long does canned pumpkin last once it's open?

I've kept mine for a week with no problem. You can certainly give them more than a tablespoon if you choose; it's low calorie, nutritious, and packed with fiber. And I think it may have been Michele who said that she freezes into ice cube trays to pull out a little bit at a time.

Last weekend I finally got a small cooking pumpkin and baked it for the dogs at the same time I was cooking a winter squash for myself. After it was cooked and cooled I pureed it in the food processor with some water.
 
My problem is that once I open a can, it will go bad before I can feed it all to the dogs. I only give them a tablespoon at a time.

How long does canned pumpkin last once it's open?

When I was feeding only Koji that much, I used to split it into 3 parts. 2 would get put in the freezer. The only strange thing I found, was after you defrost it, it's a lot more watery than it was going in.

Not sure how long it lasts. I know a can can last us up to 2 weeks and we put it only in the fridge. It's fine as far as I can tell.

I like the ice cube idea if you have space. Defrost a bit at a time.
 
I heard on the news yesterday that the pumpkin shortage is over. So we should be seeing plenty in the stores! My vet actually recommends mixing pumpkin with their food, especially when they're on a diet and you're reducing kibble.
 
I heard on the news yesterday that the pumpkin shortage is over. So we should be seeing plenty in the stores! My vet actually recommends mixing pumpkin with their food, especially when they're on a diet and you're reducing kibble.

I started Callie's diet that way a long time ago. was originally told to use canned green beans- she didn't like those. Thanks to everyone here, I found out that frozen is the way to go. She still gets pumpkin now and again- not so much while there was the shortage but she can have it now :winkgrin:
 
Back
Top