Dog Wheelchair - Is It Time?

OntarioSheltie

Forums Celebrity
Sadie suffered from a spinal stroke (FCE) two years ago, shortly before her 3rd birthday. We were devastated, but our Sadie is a fighter and made an almost complete recovery with the help of physical therapy and the use of Prednisone.

Sadie has some weakness in her back end and has lost muscle tone in her back legs and tail. She runs, jumps, plays and even wrestles like a normal dog, but even the slightest downward pressure on her back end will cause her to collapse. She tires easily for a dog her age (now 5 years old) and has difficulty with stairs.

I worry about how she'll get around as she ages and wondered if I should start shopping around for a wheelchair for her now? My thought is that maybe should I find what I want used early on and start trainer her with it so that its less of a shock to her when she does come to need it?

Or am I thinking too far ahead? Suggestions?
 
We had a dog at our practice who used a wheelchair for his hind end and did just great with it. The hardest part was the fitting so it didn't rub and it had to be modified a few times until it fit properly...don't know how Sadie will take to it since she can actually use her hind legs- guess you could try, but might be better for her to use her legs if she can. The dog was able to use his wheelchair right away-didn't have any trouble at all. It was reccommened to gradually increase time in the chair so his whole body could adjust. You should check with her P.T. and see what they say.
 
Melissa I agree with Mellie I would check with your vet or a physical therapist on this, they would definitely know best. I am sorry to hear she continues to have issues.
 
Sorry to hear Sadie has been having difficulty recently. When we visited, I would have never been able to tell she had any spinal injury, she was so so active. It was great to see really. I've yet to go through editing the photos (I apologize) but I did skim through and Sadie looks fabulous in them, young, wild, and free. I'll be sure to share them here on the forum for everyone else to see your pups. They were ALL just a crazy as Precious..... I don't have any experience with dogs and wheelchairs but I still wanted to post in your thread to send Sadie and your family/furfamily hugs and kisses. We had such a great time and was saddened to hear the update about Sadie. Will be hoping she won't have to start using the wheelchair until further down the road. <3
 
Thanks for the concern everyone!

I just want to be clear, Sadie is doing fine right now, she does amazingly well considering she had a stroke two years ago. She isn't doing any worse, she's had these difficulties since her stroke. Its something we've learned to live with and Sadie really does fine right now.

I just worry about what the future will bring, since at 5 she does have some difficulties. If she has muscle weakness now, what will she be like when she's 8, 9 or 10? Maybe thinking of a wheelchair is premature, but Sadie really enjoys being active, I just want to be prepared if one day she does need more help.

Sadie was depressed for a couple of months after her stroke as she learned to adapt to her new limitations. It broke my heart and I'd hate to see her that way again. I thought it might be good to have a wheelchair for her for when she does need it.
 
Back
Top