Ear Tipping - How old is too old?

So I should stop taping Bailey's ears when she's done teething? She's 6 months old now. She's still teething a little bit.

We never tipped my first's sheltie's ears. My mom used to massage them every once in a while. Out of no where when she was over a year old, they just tipped on their own.

I would keep it up until about 1 year. I gave up too early, and Bacca's ears never turned out as I planned. After all that hard work, and learning, it was a shame.
 
So I should stop taping Bailey's ears when she's done teething? She's 6 months old now. She's still teething a little bit.

We never tipped my first's sheltie's ears. My mom used to massage them every once in a while. Out of no where when she was over a year old, they just tipped on their own.

I glued Justice's until he was 12 months. He has small ears and heavier ear leather. I'm not as happy with them as I would like and the right one sticks up if he is really excited.

I stopped Ember right after she was done teething I took them out for a show at 6 months and never had to do a thing with them.

Diva , i kept gluing until 10 months. They looked good from 7 to 8 months and then I noticed the left ear was just slightly high. She was going into heat. I glued them back down for a couple months and took them out for a show and so far so good. I'm still watching them like a hawk and if they start to go back up at I'll put them back down.

The latest I've ever helped someone tip the ears and it worked was 6 months.
 
Actually, I wouldn't worry about things getting into his ears. Its floppy ears that get more ear problems (floppy eared breeds have the most problems). Deska has had grass seeds in his hound dog ears, Tully has never had anything in hers. You will find as he gets older fur will grow around and in front of his ears and protect them.
 
Actually, I wouldn't worry about things getting into his ears. Its floppy ears that get more ear problems (floppy eared breeds have the most problems). Deska has had grass seeds in his hound dog ears, Tully has never had anything in hers. You will find as he gets older fur will grow around and in front of his ears and protect them.

You are right! I worry about Bacca and his hound ears because things (like ticks) can hide nicely in there. Plus, I believe the risk of infection is higher as well.

That being said, I'm working on my technique for trimming hound ears. I've not got it down pat yet. I always want to keep trimming, though I know that I need to keep some fur at the tip to give illusion of more height.

Indy's a prick, but thankfully are small ears, so he is easy to trim. No special technique required.
 
I've been working on Deja's ear tipping for several months. My sheltie mentor and friend, Mike, has been helping with taping them. He did the grooming for me at the dog show.

She currently has a brace made of mole skin, velcro and surgical glue hehe.. poor girl.

The plan is to check around x-mas to see how they are doing and see if she can do the january show or not.
 
That being said, I'm working on my technique for trimming hound ears. I've not got it down pat yet. I always want to keep trimming, though I know that I need to keep some fur at the tip to give illusion of more height.

I am learning this trimming around the ears thing too. Cleve's were prick, I just did a little here and there. These ears of MMM's are tricky. Connie says round them forward and then side to side with thinning shears. But it is tough to not just keep trimming.
 
When you trim prick ears (or tipped ears) do you use straight shears or the texture shears?

I couldn't cut a straight line in elementary school to save my life. :uhoh:

How do you know which kind of shears to use on what part of the sheltie? :confused2:
 
Back
Top