Ears?

actually there is a reason for the ears being tipped. The ears are supposed to be tipped 1/3 down. The reason for this was when they were out herding it would keep the elements out of the inside of the ear.
There is always a reason for everything in the standard it just may not be clearly described.:smile2:
but anyways to answer your other question 6 months is most likely too late to tip them and have good results.
 
I have whole bottle of detachol.
And for the price I paid for it,it should work.I found it oily,and it is not really totally oderless,it does have a smell,but it is a pleasant one.

And yes it does work,but it is hard going,if there is to much glue for instance.

By the time your done trying to fuss with a squiggly puppy,and he feels the oily stuff going on his ears..then your trying to get the glue out..all the while another person would definately come handy at that point.

Like I mentioned,gluing is a piece of cake,I had both done & even a tad bit in the center to hold them upright,but it's getting it out that is the problem.

I ended up getting all the glue out that time,but one little glob,and I just let it grow out.Trapp did not like it one bit,all the fussing.

With Beckon, I would have Brad feed him chinchilla pellets one at a time while I glued -- it really kept him stil and focused! :winkgrin:
 
Alot of shelties will have tipped ears natural. Ember's would have been even if I'd done nothing to them, same with Diva but since I wanted to show them I had to make sure they tipped. I never glued Embers after 6 months.

Justice's ear would have been prick. The ear leather is thick and short. They barely tip as it is. I glued them until 10 months and called it good.

I prefer the tipped look, it softens the expression. None of my dogs worried about the process at all, no stress except my own with Justice. :biggrin2: But if you are not going to show is is a matter of taste if the ears are going prick. Also starting at 6 months most likely wouldn't work anyway the cartilage is almost set by that time.
 
actually there is a reason for the ears being tipped. The ears are supposed to be tipped 1/3 down. The reason for this was when they were out herding it would keep the elements out of the inside of the ear.
There is always a reason for everything in the standard it just may not be clearly described.:smile2:
but anyways to answer your other question 6 months is most likely too late to tip them and have good results.

Yes thats what I heard. The hearing is better on dogs with prick ears like GSD but the climate of the shetland islands was harsh with lots of rain and wind so the semi prick ear acted like little umbellas to keep moisture out of the ear canal while still enhancing the hearing.:biggrin2: Cup your hands around your ears and see if the sounds becomes louder.:wink2:
 
Back
Top